Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok My place carries something that was described identical to that but its 12.50 per bag.... Oh well I know they like Sweetplus. Thats $7.50 per bag. Cornchops is the same price here and dont draw near the ants.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
eta: if you're worried about Sam and the Ladies, trust me, they ain't starving! They are the first ones out every morning! They are still getting flock raiser with oats and sunflowers.

Yesterday, E was mowing and Sam was following right behind snatching up all the bugs!!
I wasn't worried about them starving! :D

I don't know what they will do for winter at your place. We usually got hit with winter pretty bad so they rarely left the barn (because of snow and wind and more snow and wind).

We used FlockBlock in winter as supplement. It is made with molasses, seeds, grains, oyster shell, and lots of other stuff. But my chicken books are in storage and I can't remember the full contents. :p

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
keljonma said:
I don't know what they will do for winter at your place. We usually got hit with winter pretty bad so they rarely left the barn (because of snow and wind and more snow and wind).
Um, not sure what you mean? My chickens free range all winter long, and I try to keep the feeders full. Plus I give them a leaf of hay to scratch through in their coop house. During the coldest spells, we shut the coops completely and make sure waterers are thawed. We're hoping to have a second 8x8 coop up before snow flies, and that's where Sam and the Ladies will be residing until Spring.

We used FlockBlock in winter as supplement. It is made with molasses, seeds, grains, oyster shell, and lots of other stuff. But my chicken books are in storage and I can't remember the full contents. :p
I haven't found FlockBlock around here yet, but I've been looking.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
jenlyn9483 said:
Ok My place carries something that was described identical to that but its 12.50 per bag.... Oh well I know they like Sweetplus. Thats $7.50 per bag. Cornchops is the same price here and dont draw near the ants.
$7.50 isn't bad, and it's still cheaper than the $13.95 I'm paying per bag of Flock Raiser.

I think I'd pass out if I added up the cost of my monthly feed bill! :th

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Are whole grains in your area cheaper? That could be a good alternative too.
No, they wouldn't be. One bag of calf chop is cheaper than a bag of oats! A bag of oats, not rolled, just oats, is $10!!!!!!!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I haven't found FlockBlock around here yet, but I've been looking.
Agland in NP carries the Purina block. You can also make it using scratch and other stuff. I did some cakes of it last winter.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We were getting FlockRaiser for about $1 less than you from the farm co-op here.

I had to ask the farm co-op and feed mill to order the FlockBlocks when Purina sent me the "get it free" coupons.

The blocks sold for about $9/block last winter. Purina sent me four coupons - they are marked which supplier they are for - two were for the feed mill and two were for the farm co-op. The coupons came in a mailer of two coupons, and we got two mailers, if that makes sense.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
We were getting FlockRaiser for about $1 less than you from the farm co-op here.

I had to ask the farm co-op and feed mill to order the FlockBlocks when Purina sent me the "get it free" coupons.

The blocks sold for about $9/block last winter. Purina sent me four coupons - they are marked which supplier they are for - two were for the feed mill and two were for the farm co-op. The coupons came in a mailer of two coupons, and we got two mailers, if that makes sense.
Yes, I sent off for some coupons....still waiting to see if I get any? Sure would help, that's for sure!

Becca, I think I'd like to learn how to make those cakes you're talking about!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Blackbird said:
Are whole grains in your area cheaper? That could be a good alternative too.
No, they wouldn't be. One bag of calf chop is cheaper than a bag of oats! A bag of oats, not rolled, just oats, is $10!!!!!!!
They're spendy like that here too. We're trying to find someone local who will sell to us in bulk. Oats and barley, maybe corn.
Our town has two feedstores, and the cheaper one is managed by a local crop production co-op that my dad is part of. They send out the total costs at the end of every year, and they would mail it to him. And if that happened, we wouldn't have any animals. Lol..

The sweet feeds, and high processed stuff is spendy here too, and not near as healthy as whole grains.