Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I really should quit peeking at my broody, but I'm so excited I can't help myself!

I have another Wellie trying to zip, another pipped, and the BLRW is still pipped, although it's made it's pip hole a bit bigger!
Like a kid at Christmas you are.... :lol: I can't say I blame you. New life is eggsciting stuff! ;)

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Yesterday or the day before we were talking about FlockBlock, and the possibility of making something similar at home. I found the ingredients listing. Here it is....

FLOCK BLOCK BY PURINA

Purina Flock Block - Whole Grain Enrichment Supplement
-For free-ranging poultry and game birds
-Encourages natural pecking instincts to help reduce cannibalism
-Contains oyster shell and grit

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein not less than 8.0 %
Lysine not less than .30%
Methionine not less than .25%
Crude Fat not less than 2.5 %
Crude Fiber not more than 4.0 %
Calcium (Ca) not less than 2.3 %
Calcium (Ca) not more than 2.7 %
Phosphorus (P) not less than .65%
Salt (Nacl) not less than .70%
Salt (Nacl) not more than 1.2 %
Sodium (Na) not more than .35%

Ingredients:
Cracked corn, Whole wheat, Whole milo, Whole barley, Whole sunflower seed, Molasses, Oyster shell, Calcium Lignin Sulfonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Granite grit, Salt, Propionic Acid (a preservative), Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin, Vitamin A Acetate, Nicotinic acid, Riboflavin, DL-Alpha tocopheryl acetate, Cholecalciferol, Menadione dimethylprimidinol bisulfite (source of Vit K), Folic acid, Cyanocobalamin, Manganous oxide, Zinc oxide, Copper sulfate, Calcium iodate, Sodium selenite.

Ruminant Meat and Bone Meal Free

How to Feed:
Flock Block supplement is designed to supplement the diet of poultry 18 weeks and older. This is not intended to be the sole ration. Place blocks on the ground, free-ranging poultry and game birds will regulate their consumption according to the availability of natural diet. A feeding program is only as effective as the management practices followed and should only be used in combination with good conservation practices.

Caution:
Use only as directed. Store in a dry area away from rodents and insects. Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals as it may cause illness or death.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
keljonma said:
How are those hatchlings coming along?
As of 30 minutes ago, we had another Wellie zipping! AND under the broody silkie, 2 more (probably mutts) are pipped!!

And today, we found my Smooth feathered white sizzle on a nest of 11 eggs :rolleyes: all mutts, just not sure how long she's been on the nest, so soon as I have an empty space, she'll be moved to a broody box.

WHY do my girls go broody in the off season??? :hu

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
How wonderful that you have a successful hatch! :D

Quail_Antwerp said:
WHY do my girls go broody in the off season???
It didn't seem to matter to Lou's hormones when she went broody. The first year she went broody twice during winter! December '06, February '07, July '07, December '07, June '08, and November '08. :D

I'd say she is about due....... :hide :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Just completed my last check for the evening, and we have FOUR Welsummer babies!! The fourth is still wet, so I can't make out markings yet to know if pullet or cockerel, but it doesn't matter!!

Also, pipped BLRW is ZIPPING!! and from what I can see, I'm going to have either a black or a dark blue BLRW chick!!!!!

I think I said earlier that the BLRW were due today, but I was wrong. The Welsummers were 1 day ahead of the BLRW, and it was the Wellies that are due today. The BLRW are actually due tomorrow! So, I've an early bird with the BLRW!!

:weee :ya

I'm really glad they have broody Mama's to take care of them, being it's the off season, I really don't want to have to mess with brooding chicks inside!

Tomorrow, we're going to start laying up the floor for the coop addition. Mama's and Babies are probably going to live in the new addition for awhile with heat lamps.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Also, pipped BLRW is ZIPPING!! and from what I can see, I'm going to have either a black or a dark blue BLRW chick!!!!!
That is an exciting addition to your flock! I know you were hoping for a black or dark blue. I think I can see you smiling ear to ear from here! :D :celebrate

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I woke up to new hatchlings under BOTH broodies!!!

My Broody Silkie had two new babies hatch over night. She still has more eggs in her nest that haven't done anything yet, and not sure when/if they will hatch. Her two new babies are darling and one looks to be a pure Mille Fleur!!!!!!! Which is a possibility, since I've seen Cricket, my Mille Fleur roo, mating with the Mille Girls. And I know the Mille Girls were laying in the nest that I found my broody silkie on. So :fl hopeful on that one! I'll be watching that one's feathering coming in. I could use another Mille Roo, and another Mille girl is no problem to keep at all :lol: The other chick looks like it might be a Silver Duckwing cross. :D

My BLRW has FIVE Welsummer babies under her!! :D 2 cockerels and 3 pullets!! With one more Wellie egg to go, that's not even pipped yet, but it's only 1 day late so far. The BLRW hatched and IT'S BLUE!!!!!!! :weee :ya There's 4 more BLRW eggs under her, so she's got 5 more eggs to go, we'll see if she has anymore by tomorrow.