Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I understand....my hubby gets mad at me when I go talk to someone and the kids go off somewhere....I look at him and say "well, they're you're children too.....why can't you watch them for a little while" that and "will you just let them go do their thing and stop hovering over them every single minute, they're fine."

He wants me to be glued to them every single second of every single day and I just need a break.

Tell E that you'll make a deal with him, you'll watch the kids for a bit so he can go mingle and then vice versa, that way you both get to visit everyone and the kids aren't left alone.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well, we went to the wedding. One of the strangest affairs we'd ever been to.

It started an hour late. It was a back yard Hawaiian themed affair, and kind of confusing to boot. They didn't announce when they were going to throw the bouquet or the garter....Didn't let anyone in the garage area while the bride and groom were cutting the cake - so no one saw the cake until it was cut up into pieces and on plates. The bride and groom never talked to us, even though we tried. And there was never a receiving line, where you hug the bride and groom after the ceremony.

The menu was kind of pot luck, but the main dish was a whole roasted piggie. It was YUM!

It was kind of an up and down day. My brother was up from Cincinatti, and none of us knew he was coming. We found out they were spending the weekend up here, so we tried to talk them into spending time with us after the wedding, and they said no and then informed us that they were going to stay with our aunt and uncle tonight - who also happen to be the parents of the groom. They also seemed to be a little disgruntled that it was a dry wedding. :/

Our kids had fun, and we got lots of compliments about how well behaved they were.

The hardest part for me was when my other Aunt and Uncle showed up with my Grandma.

Little explanation is needed here. Grandma has Alzhiemer's. (sp?) I haven't seen my Grandmother since she had stopped recognizing people. She lives in a nursing facility. I know it sounds horrible to say that I haven't gone to see her, but I didn't want my last memory of my grandmother to be her not remembering me. Yes, I know that's selfish.

My Grandfather also had Altz and my last memory of him alive his him NOT remembering who we were and staring off into space.

Grandma looked very thin and frail. She no longer talks, just mumbles a bunch of gibberish and is in depends. She had a matted look to her eyes like a dog that has tear stains. Don't know how else to describe it. She no longer walks, so they had her there in a wheel chair.

Since Grandma was there, and even though I wasn't wanting to have memories of Grandma not knowing me, we decided to make the most of it. Pictures were taken to day of my immediate family (E, me, and all 5 of our kids) with Grandma. I figured, why not? We may not get another chance to get a photo with Grandma.

Then we made sure that we got a 4 Generation photo. That would be Grandma, my mom, me, and my DD. Here's the neat thing about that photo - My Grandmother is the Oldest child in her family, and is the oldest daughter. My mom is not the oldest child, but she is the oldest daughter. I am the oldest child AND the oldest daughter. My daughter, while she is the only daughter, is the oldest child.

So it's a 4 generation picture of firsts. :D

This is the third 4th Generation picture we've taken. I have one from when DD was 4 months old, another when my DD was 4, and now when she is 11.

Since I had forgot my camera, other family were taking the pics so I do have to wait to get my copies.

My SIL, the one who just got back from Germany, took the most adorable picture of my 5 kids standing in a row. The kids are all like 1 head shorter than the next, standing in birth order. The running joke today with that pic was, "More bars in more places." My Uncle said we need to send that pic into the cell phone company that uses that slogan :D

Over all it turned out to be a good day. There were a few downer moments, but we shrugged it off as no big deal.

The best part was, the kids were soooo well behaved!!! We got many compliments on how well behaved our kids were - and my mom took Baby Boy for a little while so E and I both got to visit and relax.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
All in all it sounds like a pretty good day. :)

I bet the pic of your stair step kids becomes a favorite. Also good that you got that 4 generation photo. Years from now that one will be important to your heirs.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Glad it turned out well.
Pretty cool on the pic. I've never had 4 generations to take a picture with like that, not directly. I had a great great aunt who was still alive when I was younger but never knew any of my great grandparents. DS never knew any of his either. I wish.....
I have cousins who could do 5 generations when my grandma was still alive. :th

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That wedding sounds a bit like my step-brother's that we had at my parent's house. They were late getting ready, had no receiving line, and the bouquet throwing just spontaneously happened.

At least you'll have those pictures though.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My wedding was an hour late too... :lol: I opened up my dress and discovered that my veil had not been put inside with it. One of my cousins drove like a mad man to go get it from the bridal shop. That and my photographer showed up 45 minutes late too.

Sounds like you had an eventful day, glad everything worked out with you and E.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
:lol:

My daughters wedding was 6 HOURS late!

We did not receive the GROOM until then and we were driving like mad to get him as well. He was supposed to have arrived on military leave the previous DAY but then not only was delayed by the military he was delayed at the Chicago airport!!

The photographer was about to wet himself when my hubby decided to go along to pick him up at the airport. "No NO! The father of the bride can't go!"

My D1 looked at him and said "We can't HAVE the wedding anyway without the GROOM!"

Good times good times!! :lol: BTW that was 8 years ago.. still married. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, the day is half over, and it has already been a loong one and a bit on the frustrating side, too.

Don't really know where to start right now to tell ya'll about it, but I will later on.

Right now, fixing ourselves a late lunch and then I've gotta head over and do the chores at Becca's. She's out of town for work related stuff.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So, it was Monday and that means Auction...

lemme tell you - the market for everything here (unless you're trying to buy a lop rabbit) has bottomed out. No joke.

Chicks sold for 25 cents a piece today. Do you know how many freaking chicks you'd have to take in at 25 cents each to make a stinking profit????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ducks - grown ducks, big ready to eat meat ducks - $2 each

Point of Lay hens - $1 A DOLLAR A FREAKING DOLLAR!!! you can't raise a freaking hen up to point of lay for a DOLLAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we were talking to the owner of the auction house about getting our steers hauled in come August, and what the price per pound would be. We explained that they are 100% grass fed, no chemicals, no hormones, just 100% grass...

Are you ready for this??

50 cents a pound - on the hoof! :th

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME?! That's GIVING the meat away!!! He said because they still have horns, they go for less, and their not pure beef, but a mix and blah blah blah blah

So my pushing near to 600# steer would only bring me $300 -

Screw that!! He's stocky! In another year, he'll be considered an ox. They're tame - anyone can pet them and they'll lick you like a dog that showing affection.

I'm fairly confident that we could sell both steers out right for more than 50 cents per pound. Boss is well worth $500 out right, we're sure of that.

Idiots.

Anyway, we went on to discuss our coyote problem with the Auction owner and he was falling all over himself pretty much begging to come hunt the coyotes this fall - so we said sure, please do!

Then we went back to the small animal auction because there was a gorgeous Holland lop doe that I was determined to bring home for Bo. There was 3 beautiful lops there, but only 1 was a doe.

I had the first bid at $3 then someone else bid $4.....and then it went like this:

Me: $5
Girl behind me : $6
Me: $7
Girl: $8

At this point I'm fuming mad because the little twinkie teen behind me wouldn't take the hint and STOP bidding, so I spouted, "$10" which was my max bid.

Of course the auctioneer did his thing trying to get more bids, but I think the fact that I had smoke coming out my ears and flames flipping off my tongue, I scared off the competitors.....

So, Bo Duke the Lop Buck got a new wife today. :lol:

:ya He was pretty happy with the second wife brought home today, and wasted no time in consumating their union. :gig

The current Baby Dukes have their eyes open and are hopping around the cage. My favorite, the all white one, is a boy :( AND his eyes are RED! An Albino Lop!! I never knew that could happen!!

Anyway, I have no intentions of keeping any of the current Baby Dukes, since I managed to get the new Doe today (whom I'm thinking of naming Hazzard). There's really no reason for me to keep any of the babies since I only wanted a trio of lops, and now I have them! :D

On a side note, the other lops sold for $6 each - so I'm thinking everyone was out for my Doe.

Latest posts