Question about Canning Tomato Sauce

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking of putting my tomatoes through the blender instead of skinning them first for making tomato sauce to save time.

My mil does this and claims it turns out the same. Have you ever done this? Any recommendations?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seems like it would work just fine, I'd remove the seeds first though :)

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried it and was very pleased with the result. I did put the sauce through a sieve to get the seeds out.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So did the skins get blended or did you strain them out with the seeds?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The skin blended so well you couldn't see it. It made the sauce a nice rich red and of course more nutritious.

Justme

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I almost always put the skins in all my tomatoe products- stewed,sauce and paste. I have even heard that the highest concentrations of lycopene are in the skins.
For stewed tomatoes I will peel and put the peelings in the blender( I have a VitaMix which really pulverized everything) then add that to the whole tomatoes to cook down some.
For the sauce and paste I usually core and cut in half and dump them into a roasting pan sometimes adding peppers,onions garlic and spices, and cook in the oven at about 350. About every 45 minutes I will take them out strain the juice off and put them back in. Repeating this until I reach the thickness I want. Then let it cool and put it all (pulp,skins and seeds) through the VitaMix until I have a smooth sauce/paste I like this method because. The juice that I drained off gets canned too instead of being evaporated into the air. So I basically get two products from one. It great for soups or flavored rice.
By leaving the seeds in I save the task of removing them and except for a slightly paler color cannot tell the difference. Of course it really depends on your blender. Some work really well and others not so much. Do a test run and then run it all through a fine strainer and see what's left. You don't want pieces of peeling left , they tend to roll up and become like little fine sticks. You might have to experiment some with how many you do at one time.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the skins make the sauce thicker, which is nice. When I occasionally buy tomatoes, I usually get crushed tomatoes, which includes the skins.