Question about Chicken Feed

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
That is a great score, I'd love to find something like that! Just keep it dry and you should be good for a while!

That's a good base feed, very similar to what chickens would eat on a normal traditional farm, before mass produced pellets became the norm. That and lots of kitchen scraps and scrambled eggs & shells (we've got lots of eggs) should keep them healthy and happy.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ScottSD said:
I have an opportunity to get chicken feed at a pretty good price. It is made up of some spilled grain and cleanings from mostly golden flax. Everything in the bag is organic but not certified. It is made up of spring wheat, buckwheat, oats and golden flax along with weed seeds and stems.

Is this a good feed for chickens?It would be a good supplement to your Nutrena feed, which has all items needed to properly feed chickens, frankly I would not feed the cheap stuff by its self. If you want to take the risk, try it but have a supply of Nutrena on hand to feed if your chickens do not thrive on it. (look a little tired, feather condition starts to look bad or egg production falls.
I have used 'strach' feed like this from a mill that did corn wheat and oats and have found bits of metal by using a small magnet. since these end up in the chicken's gizzards they can be a problem. ~gd

I'm a new chicken owner. Been mostly buying Nutrena feed at a local Farm Supply which has worked out well. But I can get this feed for about .10 a pound compared to over .25 a pound for the Nutrena brand.

Also, would this be OK for laying hens?

Thanks in advance.
I hope this was of some help, I think the days when "chicken feed" meant a small amount of money are gone for good!