Question About Freezers

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will be shopping around for a freezer over the next 6 months or so.
I've heard the term deep freezer and wondered if those freezers that open from the top kinda like a shoe box, are they deep freezers? What makes a deep freezer a deep freezer?

Why would one choose a deep freezer over another, say, like in my side by side with the frige?

Is an upright better or those box kind that you enter from the top?

We plan on freezing meat but possibly some veggies and berries also.

Thanks

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Mackay said:
What makes a deep freezer a deep freezer?
AFAIK, any dedicated freezer could be called a "deep freezer", that is, it runs at a colder temperature than the freezer portion of a normal kitchen fridge-freezer combo.

Why would one choose a deep freezer over another, say, like in my side by side with the frige?
A dedicated freezer runs at a colder temperature than the one attached to your fridge. Also it is opened less often and contains a larger total mass of frozen stuff, thus there are fewer temperature fluctuations to affect food. And it will hold its cold for longer in a power outage.

Is an upright better or those box kind that you enter from the top?
Upright (chest) freezers are more energy efficient and protect the food better than the upright ones with a door like a fridge, because most of the cold air spills out every time you open one of the upright type. So every time you open an upright (door on the front) freezer, the compressor has to replace all that coooold air, and meanwhile the food on the outside has warmed up a bit.

The tradeoff is that it requires a bit more organizational skills to know what's in your chest freezer and be able to find it without having to leave the lid open for ten minutes while you stage an archaeological dig :p

personally I think the best thing is a manual defrost chest freezer.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
...without having to leave the lid open for ten minutes while you stage an archaeological dig :p
Pat
:lol: Yep, that about describes it! It's amazing what can be found at the bottom of our chest freezer. Anyone for some Pterodactyl wings?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I actually had to go through my fridge-top freezer AND the downstairs chest freezer yesterday, on account of my stubborn belief that I had some frozen sausage SOMEWHERE in there. I'm still sure I do, I just never did find it :p

But I tell you, the temperature in the chest freezer was a lot less affected by my long drawn out excavations than in the one attached to the fridge. The chest freezer also has the (to me) HUGE advantage that you do not get that unexpected avalanche of frozen butterchickentortillaspeasbeanscornbreadbeef pouring out when you move the wrong item :p

Pat, who would just like to say that a pound of frozen butter, landing on your bare toes from four and a half feet up, HURTS!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't go in to my freezer often so the upright is fine by me. My parents had a chest freezer and used to make me do the excavating. NO WAY am I ever going to do that again.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
patandchickens said:
...without having to leave the lid open for ten minutes while you stage an archaeological dig :p
Pat
:lol: Yep, that about describes it! It's amazing what can be found at the bottom of our chest freezer. Anyone for some Pterodactyl wings?
Yes--I would love some Pterodactyl wings?
When is the party????? Ready here! Just 1 wing per person is enough right?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For me the choice is how often do you need to access the freezer.

Upright is great for everyday cooking and needs. You open, find what you want on that shelf and you are done.

Chest means you have to layer on top of each other...great for a whole cow or hog you are freezing.

So what are you wanting this for truly. To freeze alot of "different" meal stuffs that you need access, or a whole hog that you don't need access too all the time?

Makes a diff. on what will work well for you.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Pterodactyl wings? Wow!

I have one of each. I use the chest freezer (door on top) for things I don't need often and my bulk stuff: 40 quarts corn, gallons and gallons of berries, chickens, bread, etc.

I use the upright freezer (door in front) for my small things that would be a jumbled mess in the chest freezer, but it has to be really organized to prevent archaeological digs! This is where I put all my frozen squash, jams, asparagus and other specialty foods.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Uhhhh,,, Yes a deep freezer is the kind you open from the top. I do believe they are supposed to stay colder and be more efficient. Just my .02

Reaction score
We have one of each. They are both around 23 cu ft. The upright is used for everyday stuff. Portioned for our family frozen meat, bread, vegetables. The chest is downstairs and is used for longer term stuff. We'll buy 6-8 turkeys when they are on sale for 6.00 and 6-8 hams when they are 1.19 lb around x-mas and at easter. We also keep all the meaties in there. If you want to keep stuff separated and easy to get to use an upright. As previously stated though the chest is a lot more energy efficient. The more full it is the less it runs.