Question about Hatchery Order....Need some help!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Dace I left town for a couple days and it seem like you have been busy. Sounds like you jumped on the chicken wagon. Whats up with the ducks? I never thought about ducks. Are you using the eggs for your cooking classes? do ducks lay daily? sounds like your keeping busy. g :D

PotterWatch

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The easiest thing I have found is to order them through my local feed store. They use a couple different hatcheries and I am able to look through the hatchery cataloge and tell them what I want and they include it in their next order. I am getting some delawares and some black broilers this week that way. I pay a little bit more per chick, but I don't pay shipping so it evens out, plus I don't get any unwanted birds. I also get to pick mine out from a bunch since they order at least 15 of each kind when they do order. So I can pick my three delawares out from at least 15 of them to get the healthiest looking ones.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace said:
Bee & Quail...there were so many tempting options, but since I am a chicken virgin I did not want to take on too much and make mistakes ( or at least a huge number of them).

There are several more breeds I would like to get...a little at a time I think will be best for me :)
I was a chicken virgin once........ :hide :D :lol:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Hey Dace I left town for a couple days and it seem like you have been busy. Sounds like you jumped on the chicken wagon. Whats up with the ducks? I never thought about ducks. Are you using the eggs for your cooking classes? do ducks lay daily? sounds like your keeping busy. g :D
Hey G nice to see you back...I was a little worried when you seemed to disappear :/ Glad you were just out of town!

I have always loved ducks. We had mallards when I was growing up. Duck eggs are bigger and richer than chicken eggs, so they are really great to bake with. I choose Khaki Campbells because they are relatively quiet and they are prolific layers...nearly every day. I hope to sell the extras to my cooking clients.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
PotterWatch said:
The easiest thing I have found is to order them through my local feed store. They use a couple different hatcheries and I am able to look through the hatchery cataloge and tell them what I want and they include it in their next order. I am getting some delawares and some black broilers this week that way. I pay a little bit more per chick, but I don't pay shipping so it evens out, plus I don't get any unwanted birds. I also get to pick mine out from a bunch since they order at least 15 of each kind when they do order. So I can pick my three delawares out from at least 15 of them to get the healthiest looking ones.
I will keep that in mind...sounds like a smart way to do it!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Dace? Honey? You might want to peruse that one post and do a little editing.....I think you love "ducks"...... :p :hide :D

Unless it was a Freudian slip...... :lol: