Question for ppl w/ milking goats

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It would depend on what medication you are talking about. Different medications, different withdrawal times...and also, different effects on you. ;) In a nutshell, you probably don't want to drink milk from a medicated goat because, well, that would mean you would be drinking the medication, too. But like I said, different medications have different properties (e.g., how much of the medication would even pass through to the milk), etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My question is...why the medicated feed? I know commercial meat growers add the medication to combat the illnesses secondary to a high corn diet and to increase growth, so as to finish a calf quicker. But why would anyone else do this? I mean, commercial agriculture is interested in quicker profits, but why would someone having goats be doing this? Just curious.... :)

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The reason I ask is because the closest feed supply store to me is 3 miles away and they only carry medicated feed. I could drive 30 miles and pay the same price for non-medicated, but with the price of gas, I can't. I go grocery shopping once a month so I am thinking of also buying feed for the month also, this way I can purchase the non-medi. feed.

Just curious and thought I would ask the advice of other goat owners. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have the same problem with chick feed! The local store supplies mostly commercial growers, so they only stock medicated feed....same at the SS store 40 miles away. I am now feeding my chicks nonmedicated laying mash crumbles! Its getting bad, ain't it? I'm sure they will do okay on it, but it still is frustrating to be a minority consumer.... :rolleyes:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Mostly, the medication included in these feeds is tetracycline, a pretty strong antibiotic. Not something you want to keep ingesting, if you can help it. Is there an equivalent to goat feed that may not be medicated? Horse feed?

BrookValley

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You could use horse feed instead. You want to find one that is close to goat feed in terms of nutritional requirments--you may have to watch out for things like selenium, copper, etc. Try looking at www.fiascofarm.com This a web site with a lot of great information on goatkeeping, dairy goats specifically. I know somewhere on there they have a handy chart that breaks feeds down by nutritional requirements--and I believe that there is a horse feed that they recommend, if my memory serves me correctly.

Or, if it works out for you ok to buy feed once a month, you could do that, too--if you only have a few goats, they don't eat a ton of grain. If you have way to store your feed that is rodent-proof, you'll be ok. A month isn't that long to store it. We store all of our grain in galvanized trash cans.

Good luck! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Medicated goat feed is usually to battle against coccsidioous (spell?)

I feed medicated goat feed thru summer months only when this bacteria is flourishing, I need to feed about 2 weeks, every 2 days or so and that keeps them from getting this cocc. disease.

they get the scours big time and can die very fast from this.

BEST WEBSITE in the world for goats and ALL the info you ever want is

www.tennesseemeatgoats.com

right had side, click Articles.....it has every single piece of knowledge needed regarding goats, from the birth to old age to every medication etc. and diseases, etc.

this website made me a goat farmer!!!!
best of luck to you

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
TheChickCrew, what type of goats do you have, and are they primarily pets?

What type of feed would they be eating otherwise, specifically? What else do they eat?

I, too, have goats, and have had for a long time. My usual herds have been various Alpines, Nubians, and local "brush" goats, plus mixes, and a few other breeds here and there. This year I added Nigerian Dwarves to the family. :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I don't milk my goats so I can't say for sure but I feed whole oats, alfalfa pellets and hay only. For Cocci treatment, I use a drench syringe to treat the kids - I only treat the kids regularily so withdrawal would not be an issue. I stop when they are about 4-5 months old. I do treat the adults maybe once a year but I have no real good reason for that.
You can mix your own feed to avoid the issue.