Question for you herb intelligent people & soapmakers . . .

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I have a couple of soap recipes that call for dried sage. I have purple sage growing in my flowerbeds. Can I dry it and use it in soap?

Also, can I sub it for regular sage in food recipes?

ETA: it smells just like "regular" sage

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Purple Sage can be used the same as normal garden sage in foods. I'm not sure if the medicinal properties of the purple variety vary from garden sage so I can't really comment on that. I would guess they are close to the same but not sure.

But if your using it more for scent in your soap, I see no harm in it.

Carolyn

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think it will discolor, you might infuse it with oils and use the oil in the soap. Some then strain it and others use it as is. We are experimenting with rose hips right now.

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohh a terrible thing happened to me this week with a sage plant
a good friend of mone in toronto gave me one of three sage bushes from her yard. she has brought these guys along for almost ten years through canadain winters etc.. they are huge like a shrub!
well she gave me one with a long speech about how i was one of the only people she would give this plant to, how i was going to give it a good home etc.

well i took the train home the next day and left plant in van thinkin that as always it would get put in the trailer and driven home to me a cpl days later. well not this week. for some reason my BP gave van to new staff member to do this and said she could keep over night well not recognizing plant as a wedding prop, because it wasnt one she "got rid of it" what ever that means
ahhhhhhh!!!!!!

what can say though i told no one what to do with it and assumed that normal protocols would be followed

dont we all no what assuming does (well not assuming but assume)

i know not really helpful but i needed to get it out.

i still havent told my friend im scared!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Reminded me of when I borrowed two pretty aprons from a friend to do a demonstration for a group of patients for a doc I was working with, and the next day, I folded them up and put them with some stuff I was going to put in the car. DH decided to do me a favor and brought all the stuff to Goodwill for me. Including my friend's aprons. I called Goodwill to buy them back, but they'd been sold within two hours, before I found out they were gone.

I can't believe someone would throw out a plant without asking! Sheesh! :rant

jessejames

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ya considering the all other stuff i am always pullin from the trash i figured a plant was pretty obvious !?!