Question on Canning Peaches

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I canned a few quarts a couple of weeks ago, would like to can more as the produce market has a good price on them. But... I had a terrible time trying to get the pit out and usually made a mess of one half. Is there an easy way to do this? Am I missing something? :D

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert on this, but peaches can be difficult. I usually peel, then cut along the natural crease all the way around then gently but firmly kinda twist & pull apart, then pop out the pit (I hope that made sense). Sometimes it works & sometimes not. If not, then I'll cut across the opposite way around (looks like cutting it into equal 1/4's) and this usually works. And sometimes, despite my best efforts, I still end up with some peach 'bits & pieces'. It may not 'look' great, but all tastes great.
Probably someone else may have better ideas, so I'll be waiting for others replies too :pop

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some peaches are better for canning. Freestone peaches are much easier to deal with. I have canned the other as well. I would use a knife and cut slices off the stone as I go.

A bit more work though.
:idunno

G

mandieg4

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Freestone peaches are best for canning halves, but they have to be ripe. If they aren't ripe they won't be easy to get off the stone. If I have cling stone peaches I usually can them as slices instead of halves

Latest posts