Question on solar batteries, rust, and the meaning of life.

animalmom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
New poster here, have been on BackYardHerds for a long time.

We have a solar set up for pumping well water. It is working like a charm. The solar set up has been in place for maybe two years. The battery array (is that the right word?) is at the front of a shipping container where we also store tools and other delightful things.

We have noticed an increase in the amount of rust on the tools. Could the batteries be causing this increase in rust?

We have been very careful to keep the container open during the day so there is air flow because we were under the impression the batteries could outgas (is that the right word?)

Hey, what do I know, I think electricity is magic anyway.

Any opinions would be appreciated.
thanks

DeniseCharleson

Power Conserver
Reaction score
animalmom said:
We have noticed an increase in the amount of rust on the tools. Could the batteries be causing this increase in rust?

We have been very careful to keep the container open during the day so there is air flow because we were under the impression the batteries could outgas (is that the right word?)
Yes, even with the container open, the acid produced during off-gassing while charging could increase damage to the metals in your tools. Over-charging increases the off-gassing, but it is always present to some extent from regular lead-acid batteries.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
yep. Don't let them fool you with a fancy technical name-- electricity is magic. They can tell you it exists, and they can tell you how to harness and use it... but no one has ever been able to explain to me WHY it exists, lol.

Daffodils At The Sea

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Definitely the off-gassing is causing the rust. It will also corrode the controller and inverter, so they should be in another protected place. Batteries will last longer if they are not in high temperatures, and really good ventilation helps get the gasses away and keeps the temp down. Low vents on the wall will pull in cool air, and a black sewage pipe installed on the opposite wall, high on the box/shed, on the sunny side of the box/shed will heat up and pull hot air out. Be sure it has a vent at the top to keep critters and curious birds out, and a turbine if you can find one that isn't too huge.

Also, check for corrosion often at all the connections, which happens with any batteries, and use a good spray, file off any corrosion. It always surprises me how fast it happens, even with sprays. Use a toothbrush if you see anything developing, but don't let the particles fly onto the other battery connections. You've got a lot more to lose with deep cycle than a car battery, $$$

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
For cleaning your battery connections you can pick up a terminal cleaner from about any auto or equipment parts place just push on or in an twist its just internal and external brushes for a couple of bucks makes doing multiple connections easy / fast. As for the tools you can clean (wire brush) and oil them to slow the corrosion. I've use old deep fryer oil before it won't stop corrosion but will slow down the process from the batteries until you can vent better or desperate them from the tools. Just my 2. Hope it helps.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I have read all the posts and they are correct, remember that most wet cell batteries are sulfuric by nature and the out-gas while in the absorption and equalization phase will corrode copper to drywall along with most other items... so vent your battery box outside the house.