question on wood for wood heater

vaill

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Can you burn wood from a mimosa tree for firewood in a wood heater?
Thanks
Linda from E. Texas

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know about mimosa, but I do know do NOT burn wood from a holly tree - the fumes/smoke can make you sick.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Mimosa wood burns clean and you should have no problems with sparking or residue buildup. There is no tar pitch like a pine has.
It is a fairly light wood (think poplar) and will be consumed faster then say oak or hickory.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
I don't know about mimosa, but I do know do NOT burn wood from a holly tree - the fumes/smoke can make you sick.
Really? I've had people give me holly b4, and I burned it w/no problem. :hu

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Bethanial said:
Really? I've had people give me holly b4, and I burned it w/no problem. :hu
I just know my BIL said absolutely not, and dragged the one he cut down from the back yard way into the woods so there was no way it would get cut for firewood or added to the burn pile. He's Army, and they were camped out in the field doing some training when somebody decided a fire would be nice, but all of a sudden everybody started getting sick/naseous/passing out -some even had to go to the hospital. They were told it was from the fumes released from the holly wood, and to put the fire out ASAP.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Interesting about holly. I just did a quick search and it looks like holly is OK. Maybe they had some poison ivy or something else on the wood.

vaill

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you !! We have a jillion little sprout mimosas and i thought if it was safe to burn would make good kindling it is easily broken and split.
Thanks again,
Linda in e. Texas

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
The interesting thing about this thread is, two ways of burning wood are being discussed, as if they were the same.The OP asked if it was okay to burn a certain wood in a wood burner, meaning an indoor wood stove...? The other person is talking about burning hollytree wood outdoors, campfire style.. Two completley different sceneros..There should not be any smoke or fumes in your house when burning wood in a woodstove.That would happen from a dirty chimmey or down drafting, and is easily solved.A open fire outside can surely put smoke and fumes in your face, making one feel sick if you don't move away soon enough..Two different animals here...kinda like comparing apples to oranges, in my opinion...Seasoned holly burnt in a well vented woodstove, should be fine...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I burn both inside and outside. There's nothing I like more when it's cold out than sitting in front of the wood stove in a comfy chair w/a cat (or 2) on my lap and reading a good book. And, when it's nice out, I love to sit out in front of my tack shed w/a nice fire going and watch my horses. I've burned holly in both w/no problem.