questions about gas and government

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Americans don't want little, European/Japanese style, gas efficient cars. OK, I realize you all are (for the most part) Americans, and profess to want such cars, but, in general, we don't want them. And therefore, they are not made. After the gas crisis in 1974, when the prices went way up (comparatively; I don't remember how much it cost then, but it was quite high compared to what it had been) there were little, gas efficient cars available. But when gas prices came down no one wanted to buy them, and so they were no longer available. They probably will be made again, now that people say they want them. But when the prices come down, will we still want them? My personal preference is for a smaller car - I have lived in, and visit Europe fairly often (relatives live there), and I like the little cars - learned how to drive on a little, English car, and loved it. But I often hear that little cars are not safe on American roads; they don't have enough space for American families/loads; they don't have that "solid" feel; etc, etc, etc. If we truly want them we have to let the auto companies know that, and we have to be willing to buy them even when the gas prices are not through the roof. If we don't do that they will continue to produce big cars, with a good "solid" feel, and mediocre gas mileage.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:
Ah, so I can blame America for that stupid little "feature" on some cars. I hate it when a car locks my doors for me, and won't buy one that does.

I actually think that's more UNsafe than leaving the doors unlocked. What if you get into an accident and can't get out because the stupid electronic locks won't open because the electrical system is damaged?

I don't personally think any of it is any sort of conspiracy, certainly not the "rich getting richer, poor getting poorer" big--life has always been that way throughout history. It took the Industrial Revolution to create the middle class, and they've been beating us down ever since.
The doors that lock automatically should also unlock automatically in an impact accident. Some of them have a setting to disable that feature.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Did not know some older cars get such good mpg. I miss having a normal car with a key and not all the fancy electronics. I REALLY miss having a pick up truck.Dh says people are going to Mexico for gas,but news is telling people Mexico gas is dirty and car warranties will not cover damage.Lol,like you can tell it is Mexico gas.Shoot, I would want to pay $2 a gas instead of $4 too!It is getting to the point where you choose gas,food,or bills.If the price of gas keeps going up the kids will have to leave their school so we can save on tuition and gas.

I forget what country it was (Brazil) that deveopled engines that run on sugar cane gas.I think that is neat. I want a sugar car,lol.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
moolie said:
If you want to blame your government for anything, blame it for allowing the lobbyists and big business/manufacturing to make the rules to suit their own purposes.
Gee this sounds about normal for industries... do I hear echoes of the FDA and USDA???

Mattemma said:
I forget what country it was (Brazil) that deveopled engines that run on sugar cane gas.I think that is neat. I want a sugar car,lol.
While this sounds great in theory, it will only create the EXACT same issue that was created when ethanol fuel was attempted - corn became the BIG thing to grow, at the sacrifice of EVERYTHING else. Corn was the money maker at the time, so it is where farmers put their energy, and the food supply of everything else was shorted. Poor countries suddenly wanted to grow corner instead of food, and that drove food prices up as a result of supply and demand.

There is no easy solution.

I think I'll chose one horse power (or maybe two if I can get a cart!) over gas if I have to go there...

I keep wondering if I can convince a few of my coworkers to carpool... not sure I'll manage, but we could, we only live a few miles apart. We *could* but *would* they is the next question...

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Americans don't want little, European/Japanese style, gas efficient cars. OK, I realize you all are (for the most part) Americans, and profess to want such cars, but, in general, we don't want them. And therefore, they are not made. After the gas crisis in 1974, when the prices went way up (comparatively; I don't remember how much it cost then, but it was quite high compared to what it had been) there were little, gas efficient cars available. But when gas prices came down no one wanted to buy them, and so they were no longer available. They probably will be made again, now that people say they want them. But when the prices come down, will we still want them? My personal preference is for a smaller car - I have lived in, and visit Europe fairly often (relatives live there), and I like the little cars - learned how to drive on a little, English car, and loved it. But I often hear that little cars are not safe on American roads; they don't have enough space for American families/loads; they don't have that "solid" feel; etc, etc, etc. If we truly want them we have to let the auto companies know that, and we have to be willing to buy them even when the gas prices are not through the roof. If we don't do that they will continue to produce big cars, with a good "solid" feel, and mediocre gas mileage.
This is what I'm talking about--supply and demand, plus the fact that the big US automakers are in it to make money, like anyone else in business. Nothing to do with the government, unless they automakers have raised prices in order to pay back the "loans" they got when the economy tanked. ;)

That said, up here in western Canada I've been shocked and amazed at the advertised prices for larger vehicles like pickup trucks and mini-vans, compared to smaller cars like my trusty old Mazda3--in recent years I'd say trucks and vans have dropped drastically in price, as much as $5K to $10K compared to what they were advertised for before 2008. And I'm talking billboard ads here, not having to go in to the dealer to find out a price, I'm not in the market for a new car I just notice advertising when it's in my face.

Oh, and on the "safety" and "family/load size" I'm also with you--we go everywhere with our two teens in our Mazda3 and have no trouble fitting in luggage for a 2-week road trip or camping trip :)