questions about Livingston Seed Co

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH brought me "presents" today. A bag full of veggie seeds!woohoo :weee I was jumping up and down as if we'd won the lottery!! He got them at a thrift store @.50 per pkt and $26 later..... he said there were many more too and tried to get a good variety. (okay, sometimes ya just gotta luv him) I haven't looked thru all of them yet cause I just had to share, but I did start wondering about the company (Livingston Seed Co.) and tried a quick search. Their "organic" seeds swear open pollinated & no GM's-"just as nature intended". Some of these packs are organic, but most are not though some are heirloom or should I say OP types. Carrots-Danvers half long, Beets-Detroit Dark Red, etc.

Since I like to save my own seeds (more like learning to, especially those perinnial veg) I'm wondering if the non-organic but op's would be safe for saving? And what kind of company are they? Another Monsanto line?

Any of you more knowledgeable folks have any info? Thanks!

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
in my opinion, any seed that is open pollinated is worth saving. Even though the seeds are not organic, if you grow your plants organically, then the seeds are organic.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Agree completely with BeBop.

I saw Livingston seeds on a Monsanto safe seed list that contains Baker Creek, Seeds of Change and Abundant Life, so I think you're ok.

What a great DH! And he didn't wait until Valentine's Day to give them to you. :)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, he can be.....but I've been wondering if it was more like a peace offering, since he's been off work this week because of not enough work to do. Or maybe trying to butter me up for something else...hmmmmm makes me wonder what he's up to now. :lol: He sometimes does have his ultiorior(sp) motives :/

eta-oops, forgot my manners......Thanks for the info. I feel better about planting the seeds now. Maybe I'll check for more cause in my opinion, a person can never have too many seeds. And I just might have to jump on that seed train. :D