quick chicken question

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Is there anything a chicken won't eat?
Mine try to eat the container I have their treats in. The also like my toes, my shoes, the fringe off of my sweater, buttons on my winter coat, my hair if they can get to it. Oh, and lets not forget my wedding ring. That is a daily gotta try to eat it item.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
All that is good, but are they cooked veggies? Unless its leaves, they prefer the veggies cooked. Pasta is also a good one, and thespaghetti is hilarious to watch. and, while its not good for them--they love french fries.
Really? You cook veggies for your chickens? I figure if they are going to eat my peas and beans straight off the vines, pull my carrots out of the ground, and completely decimate my lettuces out in the garden, then they can have veggies straight from the fridge. :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
miss_thenorth said:
All that is good, but are they cooked veggies? Unless its leaves, they prefer the veggies cooked. Pasta is also a good one, and thespaghetti is hilarious to watch. and, while its not good for them--they love french fries.
Really? You cook veggies for your chickens? I figure if they are going to eat my peas and beans straight off the vines, pull my carrots out of the ground, and completely decimate my lettuces out in the garden, then they can have veggies straight from the fridge. :p
Lol, no--I don't intentionally cook veggie sfor my chickens. (mine are not pets). but... I do have a container in the house that i use to collect trimmings and such from meal preps for the chickens. I have put in raw pieces of veggies, but also leftovers that aren't enough to save in the bucket. also cooked veggies from making soup stock. When I toss the bucket out, they rarely, if ever, eat the raw veggies. They do however, go straight for the cooked stuff.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine also like thier veggies cooked, unless its greens.

Bread is a daily treat, I know it has no healthy value to it but they love it anyways.

The other day I cooked up an old ham and mixed in some winter squash that was going bad and then added pasta, I tell you everyone loved it, from the chickens to the barn cats.

I spoil my animals and everyone gets some kind of fresh veggie or fruit with thier regular feed.
Lucky bunch they are eating better than some foks do.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My chickens eat just about anything....especially raw veggies! When they can sneak a few away from the dogs and sheep..... :p

BOSS is always a nutritional treat and they love them dearly...and so do the sheep, but not so much the dogs. So, less competition for BOSS and it's so good for them.

Latest posts