quick make your own dog/cat food Q? Free? SD?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i'm canning the last round of turkey and stock and i have a buncha leftover weird bits.

normally i just put in tubs and give to the cats. but this last batch was cooked for so long most of the small bones are just crumbling when i try to pick them up.

i'm running everything but the skin and fat thru the food processor to almost a paste... and i'm guessing at this point its ok to give to the puppy???

i'm thinking i can put a little on her kibble just to supplement. in the past i have been worried about the bones (cats have no problem eating around them).... but since they were crumbling and now ground up.. no reason that kai cant have some is there??

am i missing anything?

:)

ps and no this isnt the only thing i'm feeding her.. just adding to her food

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would do it. In fact, I do do it :lol: I'm not nearly as careful as you are, but my dog is a powerful chewer and smashes big bones to dust. the only bones i ever pick out are the tiny sharp pointy ones that might get inhaled.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, I'd do it too, especially as a supplement. What a good supplement it will be! And I am one to be thorough about all bone bits....I know it would haunt me for the rest of my life if my pet died or even had a big vet event that I could've prevented....so for some things, I am very careful. (I never handed a horse a whole apple or carrot...ever! Although I never heard a first-hand account of anyone's horse choking on one.... :rolleyes: It's just my obsession. One of many.)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks ladies!!!

oh golly she LOVED it!! she is the happiest pup ever and tried to lick between the bites of kibble to get the special yums!

:)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Free, do you cut up the apple, or hold it for your horse? I've had non-horse people get very worried when I hold an apple for a horse and let them eat it. I don't know how many times I've been asked, aren't you afraid you're going to get bit?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I would hold an apple for my own horse, as she was very polite about taking food from me. Funny thing, she was quite the nipper and quick to bite when angry, but so nice and lady-like about eating from my hand!

I had her for about 22 years.

If I was in a hurry, I'd put the apple on the cement aisle and stomp it, then put it in her bucket. :lol: