Quick Q: When making soap, how important is a...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The smaller the batch, the more accurate your scale needs to be so you don't have a harsh soap with unsaponified lye left....but if you do (it will sting even after four weeks of curing) you can grind it up and use it in laundry soap, so all is not lost.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a digital scale b/c my soap making will be made in mostly small batches. :D

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I finally got the small digital scale that I'd had my eye on and I love it.. I only wanted the small one and it was $20 at Meijer, wally world has pretty much the same one for the same price. they are soooooo worth it! don't feel bad about spending cash for it..
Found the only way to get what I really want for my holiday gift and birthday gift from hubby is to steal his cell phone and take pictures of the items that I want and then sneak it back into his phone holder.. lol then my daughter takes him shopping! hehehe no more.. "spur of the moment, 5:30 Christmas eve gifts" from hubby! One year.. it was one pair of fancy socks and a bottle of the worst perfume you ever smelled! :th

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You'll probably find that once you have the scale, you'll use it for other things......maybe. I do.

I lay a piece of plastic wrap over it when using it to keep it clean from spills.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wrap mine in plastic also! I think if I ever need to buy another one I will go for the more expensive one with the removable top tray so I can clean it better if needed. I got mine for my wine/mead making but I have used it for so many other things that I would hate to do with out it.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Ok, thanks! I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a digital scale b/c my soap making will be made in mostly small batches. :D
I don't know, it may be standard now, but if it isn't .... make sure you get one with grams as well as ounces. Someday - soon, I hope - this country has got to join the rest of the world, and go metric.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Someday - soon, I hope - this country has got to join the rest of the world, and go metric.
Me too. President Jimmy Carter didn't do the U.S.A. any favors when he abandoned his "Metrification of America" program.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I don't want to go metric. :rant <----tantrum :lol:
Why not?

It is so much easier, once one gets the hang of it. And it is just a tad ridiculous that the U.S. is the only developed country that doesn't do metric.