Quick question re: preparing for the birth of lambs

kabri

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
HI, we are in the Puget Sound area also, will start lambing in April!
We always isolate mom and new lambs for 3 days, really helps with the bonding, and ditto on navel iodine.

Also, I would suggest knowing of a source where you can get milk replacer and nipples if you need to bottle feed for some reason. I've been caught before with none and it's no fun trying to milk a wild ewe with tiny teats! You might want to even buy some and then return it unopened if you don't use it.

Otherwise, enjoy your new lambs, I can't wait for ours to start arriving!!!:D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
HI! :frow Thank you so much! I am ready with the bottles etc. and I have a pretty good recipe for my own milk replacer. I even bought some colostrum JIC.

I also just put down a deposit (eta. just mailed it, rather) for another ewe lamb, a dairy breed! One that can be bred every 8 months. I'm super excited! I already have an Icelandic/E. Friesian crossed ram, so this time next year, if everything goes well, I'll be in the milking business!

By the way, welcome to sufficientself!! :D (We are out numbered by the goat peeps though! :lol: )

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
but you might get a new sheeple any second.

stupid Nibbles.

i might be sending her to you, BBH. ggggrrrrrrr....

hi baby!
:)

kabri

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks! sounds like you are ready for lambs then! We will be moving to the Oly Pen probably in the next year, then I want to get some goats for milk, but I don't think I could ever part with my sheep!!! So, I'm staying with the sheep group! Maybe I'll look at milking sheep too after we move and get settled!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yes OFG, I think lil' Nibbles needs to come out to "Auntie Sally's Boot Camp" ;)

kabri, my dream is to move out to the Oly Pen! (Port Townsend--oh so beautiful!)