quickie (recyclable!) killing cone for processing broiler chickens

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I posted this on BYC, but thought some here might be interested too:

I processed all 10 of my red broilers this morning (urgh -- solo -- 5 hrs including setup and cleanup! but now it's all done) and had a small clever thought about how to knock together a quick killing cone for the occasion:

Take a pizza box (yeah, we get takeout pizza once every few months, so sue me) or any other cardboard; bend back and forth to make flexible; shape into killing cone shape with appropriate sized opening; then secure with a couple turns of duct tape. Suspend from heavy wire or whatever, poked thru cardboard at top.

It worked *great*, and is compostable (or recyclable) too :D

Pat, who really does mean to get around to making a 'permanent' one someday

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, thanks, Pat, my dad and I were just discussing whether or not cardboard would make a suitable disposable killing cone. Now we know!

And you would not be human (or honest, likely!) if you didn't get take-out pizza (or chinese food!) now and then. I'm pretty hardcore in my healthy eating and I need a half of a cheesy pepperoni pizza....on a white flour crust....now and then, as well as a big plate of General Tso's!!!!! ;)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
We used a plastic bleach type bottle last year for one little rooster. It was a bit flimsy. We'll have to try the pizza box version next time. And yes we do get the pizza delivered. Who wants to cook on those hot evenings or any other excuse will do. ;)

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great idea Pat.

Does duct tape break down in the compost bin?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I removed the duct tape before disposing of the box.

Although, I've put cardboard boxes w/ duct tape on them out on the garden under mulch, as a long-term weed smotherer-outer, and after a couple years the duct tape does more or less break down (disintegrates enough that it's easy to put a trowel through it).

Pat

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
after a couple years the duct tape does more or less break down (disintegrates enough that it's easy to put a trowel through it).

Pat
I figgered that you removed the duct tape. I think that that would be best; however, I am surprised that it does break down some. Learn something every day. I guess it's true that when you're green you grow, and when you're ripe you rot. It's a good thing that I'm still "green."

Reaction score
Go give Jaku some business. He has some nice looking cones. Good fair price too. Reuse instead of throw away.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I like the recycle idea, and me personally, I would prefer to use something that I have for FREE, (and recycle,)as opposed to paying someone else for something, even if it is reusable. In that sense, I would rather make it myself.

JMO. Thanks Pat.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yes, Jason has some nice ones, I was looking at them the other week.
Think I'm gonna go with the cardboard this time, his might not get here in time for butcher day.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Go give Jaku some business. He has some nice looking cones. Good fair price too. Reuse instead of throw away.
Well, these were sort of a 'trial balloon' for whether I even WANTED to make real ones -- previously I've used an axe and a bucket for processing.

I do intend to make a couple permanent ones, now -- but am waiting for the right material to, uh, materialize. No offense meant to anyone trying to make a livin' but I just can't see paying for something that I can extremely easily make myself for free :p

Pat