QuikClot?

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I happened to find a box of QuikClot nosebleed pads in the clearance section of my drugstore. I bought it (since it was $2), but wonder if you guys think i could use it on any smallish wound? Or just in the nose?

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It would probably work just fine on a small wound. It would seem a shame to waste it on one though.
Why do I say that? Several reasons.

1. human blood should clot in 5 minutes or less unless you have some serious blood clotting disorder or are using coumadin for some reason.

2. Nose bleeds are notoriously difficult to stop without the benefit of someone in the Emergency room who can:
a) find the bleeding point and
b) use either silver nitrate or electro-cautery to stop the bleeding...and electrocautery requires anesthesia or you REALLY won't like it. (Think serious HEAT here)

Then again, if you were really concerned about the wound you could use it but there probably isn't enough to control the hemorrhage of a significant wound given the size of what you probably have. Direct pressure on the wound is probably much more effective unless you have hemophilia or Von Willebrands disease or are taking coumadin. AND in any case, just the same, that wound will need to be repaired so you will probably want to get the help of someone who can do a good job sewing things back together....

FWIW: I'd save it for a brisk nosebleed. :old

YMMV
Trim sends

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't know about nose bleeds, but for small woulds use either talc powder or corn starch :) I cut my finger on a brand new food processor blade, so I covered my finger in corn starch haha.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I agree with Icu4dzs.

OR, if you have dogs and/or cats and need to trim their toenails, keep it to stop bleeding in case you cut off too much. Nail bleeds are like nosebleeds, MESSY.

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
mom2bbjandag said:
I agree with Icu4dzs.

OR, if you have dogs and/or cats and need to trim their toenails, keep it to stop bleeding in case you cut off too much. Nail bleeds are like nosebleeds, MESSY.
Hmmmm... I wonder how similar this stuff is to the styptic powder we dog groomers use for that purpose? It has a little benzocaine in it to block pain as well as powder to stop the bleeding.

mom2bbjandag

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If I remember correctly....not all styptic powders or sticks contain benzocaine, but some do. The active clotting ingredient is alum. The active ingredient in QuikClot is kaolin, a natural ingredient, but I don't think it contains anything else "active." I've been told cornstarch works pretty well on nails but I never tried it - I used to groom dogs too. I used a styptic stick on myself once when I got carried away with a pair of scissors & sliced the end of my finger a tiny bit... it burned like *#&%!