Quilters, can you recommend me an idiot's guide?

VT-Chicklit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You might try a technique called "Strip Piecing" or "Strip Quilting". It is an easy way to start for beginners and there are many patterns where you can use the technique. There are many books explaining this technique and they ave patterns in them. Check out Joann Fabric for these books.

I almost forgot to explain about the tehnique. It is based on cutting strips of varying widths and colors that are then sewn together along their length in predetirmined sequences. These sewn groupings are then cut across all the sewn strips to form a strip of blocks. These strips of blocks will be of various fabric combinations and widths. These various cut combinations of strips of blocks are then sewn together to form bigger blocks of blocks which are then sewn together to form your quilt. I know this sounds somewhat complicated, but it is actually easy. Much easier than the old fashond way of making quilts which can be teadious.

The first quilt I ever made was made using this technique. It was a water color quilt with aproxamately 800 squares that were about 1 1/2 inches square. When it was put together the various patternes fabrics used made a swirling pinwheel effect in the quilt, just by using subtle differences in shades and tones in the prints that I used. I was a novice at the time and if I found the technique easy anyone would. Good Luck! Quilting is a great hobby.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have Fonz & Porters "Quilters Complete Guide". It teaches different techniques, explains diferent methods in detail, and I think that each "lesson" project can be sewn together to make a "sampler" quilt. I would reccommend it to beginner as well as experienced quilters.
I also surf the internet for free patterns.
I think the most important lesson I learned when I first started was to start simple and work my up up to more ambitious projects. My first quilt top was a star block - about drove me nuts trying to get my points perfect and I was never happy enough with it to finish it. My next project was a flannel rag quilt - simple, warm, soft, cozy, and pretty. It looks like I spent alot more time on it than I did and its the one we reach for when the weather turns chilly here.

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the great ideas!

I can sew (have made very basic dresses etc before) with a machine and (less neatly) by hand, so hopefully that will give me a bit of a headstart.

Potholders a very good idea - hadn't even thought of the prospect of starting with something smaller than a proper quilt! Maybe also a small quilt for the baby's room. I can work up slowly to the kingsize bed.

Now to just persuade the baby to take a three day nap so I can get started...

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh, you have to try a rag quilt! It is all flannel, warm and cosy, and I love making them, VERY FORGIVING! There are intrsctions all over online. I made them for my neices and for the sofas around here. Very quick too!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I just finally bought a book that I have been wanting a LONG time and I got it CHEAP on Amazon... "The Quilter's Block Bible" by Celia Eddy. It is full of block patterns.

Another book I have is called "Block Party" by Marsha McCloskey. I am SLOWLY making a handwork quilt by using this book.

I am using the colors of blue and white. I copy the pattern for one block on a copy machine and cut that single block pattern out using scrap material. Then I place it and thread and a needle in a ziplock bag with the name of the block pattern on it. I make up several different bags at a time. When I go someplace that I will have to wait ... doctor for example or DMV ... I simply grab one bag and go. When the block is complete I keep it in the bag and slip it on a notebook ring with the other completed ones. When I am done I will make all into a sampler quilt with strips between like a window pane quilt to attach them. I only work on this one when I have wasted time so I figure it will take years maybe to be done.

Another book I have to suggest is "Making Scrap Quilts to USE it UP!" by Lynne Edwards. It has lots of easy ideas in it including making purses and pillows!

Good luck on the new project!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, the first thing I would recommend is that if you are piecing the fabric by machine see if you have a 1/4 inch foot for your machine. Piecing in quilting is different from sewing clothing, you always use a 1/4 inch seam unless you are working with more difficult fabrics but that is advanced stuff. That foot has been a lifesaver for me. All my seams match up now. Get a rotary cutter and mat, you won't be sorry.

Next, anything by Eleanor Burns is fantastic.

Start simple, do a basic one patch---one size square (6 1/2 inches is a good one to start with) of various fabrics and just play with it.

Strip piecing is also very easy and fast to do. I would look for a beginner's class at your local sewing shop or fabric shop. It is not that complicated once you get the hang of it.

Use good thread and go slow. I am a visual learner so taking a class for me was really helpful. That way you have someone to answer all your questions as they come up.

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Of course there's also the "one-peice" quilt top with which you take a solid color fabric and layer it with batting and a backing and then quilt as you would any other quilt. If you're one of those people with excellent hand sewing skills (sadly I'm not) this type of quilt can really show case those pretty, little, & even stitches.
My MIL buys pretty and/or fun printed panels and quilts them when she just doesn't feel like peicing something together or she wants a project she can complete quickly.
The possibilities are endless!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
One of my favorite tips that I got from a book is to use thin cardboard to make your block pattern pieces, and back them with sandpaper. They don't slide this way. Then you can draw an outline or use a rotary cutter without any pinning.