R-Lawrence - my journal here

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I live with my kid and my spouse on a pretty small piece of property out in the country. We have goats and chickens. Most of the fruit and nut trees we planted last year died. Our soil here is horrible, and it doesn't help that the neighbors think little trees are for target practice on their ATVs. We're saving for a perimeter fence for obvious reasons!

I've already started seedlings for peppers, tomatoes, okra, squash and more. Our last freeze date is the end of May but since I do a lot in pots/containers, no problem starting plants this early. I'll just move them outdoors on good days, and indoors when a freeze is expected.

Lots of troubles with my Kid. Plus my spouse doesn't help with barely anything so it's all up to me. If I didn't garden and raise the critters and cook and do laundry and make schedules etc ... they would both starve. Nekked!

So, that's me in a nutshell. Looking forward to doing LOTS of reading!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome Are you sure you don't have my hubby and kids?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!
You aren't alone with the crappy soil... sigh. I finally got our garden soil in good shape, but I have lost more trees than the number that have survived.
Can you put a hefty t post by every little tree you plant? After the neighbor kids hit them a couple times, they'll get the idea. I suppose taling to their parents hasn't worked?

R-Lawrence

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the "hi"s and welcomes.

Denim: Pretty sure not. But if you want to trade ...

Marianne: I've tried talking with the parents but that just made it worse. And the kids there are horrible to mine. Like the idea of the t-post ... will do that this year when we (er, I) replant the trees.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
welcome!

nothing makes for better neighbors than fencing..go ahead and use barbed wire if you need to.

;-)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome

My problem isn't the neighbor-kids so much as the neighbor-dogs that run loose...they've trampled all over my newly-planted strawberry plants! :barnie

x100 on the fencing!! ;)

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome
As long as you have chickens and goats you have the makings of good soil :)
As long as you have chickens, goats and a paint gun you have the makings of property protection :D When they come around, shoot them with the paint gun, toss chicken poo and them, and bombard them with water balloons filled with sour milk :D