Rabbit Butchering Question

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I just finished a young rabbit. After cutting her up, I put the food pieces in a bowl of cold water. Then I brought them inside and cleaned/trimmed them further in the sink.

Where I cut across the grain of the meat, the grain separated, and the ends of the muscle fibers were rough / tought /mealy / wierd feeling.

I trimmed off the rough edges, but in a few minutes, they were the same way again. I've never seen this in a piece of meat before!

Why did that happen? Does it affect how I shoud cook it?

Jaxom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
To answere you questions about why the meat had rough edges first. Muscle tissue is much like a rubber band. Because they streached and such. Once you cut them, they release the tension that is kept on them by the bone and tendons. Because they're different lengths that have different tentsions is why you got rough edges. Hope this make sense to you.

As far as cooking. Once I have a rabbit skinned and dressed, I leave 'em hole in a large pot with enough water to cover and about a teaspoon of salt and set that in the fridge for 12-24 hours. This helps tenderize the meat more. I personally don't like picking bones out of my food. So even if I'm gonna do rabbit stew, I par boil the meat first until tender...about and hour to and hour and half. Set aside to cool. Then you can either pull the meat off for stews or heck even rabbit meat tacos for all that matters. If I'm gonna make fried rabbit i just cut each on into 4-6 pieces. Dip in batter and fry.

To make any fried foods less greasy tasting, I often try to batter then set in freezer or fridge till they get really cold. Then make sure you oil is VERY hot! When the cold meat hits the hot oil it instantly seals it, and less oil saturates the food....making it not only taste better, but is healthier for you.

Hope this helps!

Jax

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The only thing I debone from time to time is the loin. I leave the legs whole. To me, it makes for easier cooking. I love to cook and am always experimenting. Marinate the hunks of meat in a good pesto and bake at 400 and get it done.......... Good eating! I also have another recipe on "my page" and will ad more as I learn how I like them. I will also be trying that recipe on the grill once it cools down here in KC. The weather has been in the heat index of 105-120 for 2 weeks.
I am very worried my buck will be steril for a couple months due to the excessive heat this year.

The lady w/ 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 5 meat rabbits, their kits and a lizard