Rabbit in chicken coop?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm curious your reaction to putting a mini size rabbit or 2 in a chicken coop with 4 silkies.

My reason is so rabbit could have shared heat lamp, shared heated water, better shelter in winter than in my barn, better daylight than in the barn, and free access to fenced area outdoors when the weather is decent.

There is also a cat in the coop, but she is still young and not yet loose in the coop - maybe never. She is in a kennel (with litterbox, etc) in the coop overnight only.

Neither chickens nor rabbits for food production.

Bad idea? No big deal?

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have friends who let there rabbit out with the chickens in the day time, just not at night. I am sure it would be fine, Silkies are a docile breed anyway so that is a plus. yo would have to warm them up to the rabbit, but eventually, I bet the rabbit could sleep in the coop with them at night too! I bet you wont have a problem with it!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My older barn cat is trustworthy with chicks, uncaged rabbits including babies. Shes amazing. However, the cat I want to live there is 8 months old and I dont trust her for a second.

I might add a rabbit next year. I'm not in a rush. I'm busy with my 130# puppy now, so I don't have free time to add another critter yet.

Thanks for feedback. I'll have to think about how to make it work. I have two chicken doors to the outside yard, so dividing the coop is an option.

Fuchsia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have never put my rabbits in with my chickens but I think they would be okay, we put our baby goat in there sometimes and the chickens are good and the goat doesn’t mind, I know your not thinking of putting a goat in their but that just came to my mind.

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Is there anywhere else for the cat to live? I feel like with it living with the chickens in th first place, if it can't get out to hunt, will be very temped to attack a chicken. Especially if it gets bored.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Is there anywhere else for the cat to live? I feel like with it living with the chickens in th first place, if it can't get out to hunt, will be very temped to attack a chicken. Especially if it gets bored.
She's in my house most of the time! She is very spoiled! She is leash trained, crate trained, rides great in the car, knows sit, down, come, and some tricks. 🤣 She is loose outdoors during parts of the day and hunts then. Depends on her mood and the weather. She has the best of both worlds. 😍

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have never put my rabbits in with my chickens but I think they would be okay, we put our baby goat in there sometimes and the chickens are good and the goat doesn’t mind, I know your not thinking of putting a goat in their but that just came to my mind.
Gosh... maybe I need another goat? 🤣🤣 I have two 8 year old nigerian dwarf wethers that keep brush down on a hillside.

Last edited:

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She's in my house most of the time! She is very spoiled! She is leash trained, crate trained, rides great in the car, knows sit, down, come, and some tricks. 🤣 She is loose outdoors during parts of the day and hunts then. Depends on her mood and the weather. She has the best of both worlds. 😍
That is so cute! Is this the cat that is in with the chickens?