Rabbit in chicken coop?

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Personally, I would never put rabbits in with chickens. I know plenty of people who have, but my buns are house pets and knowing them in that way, they could not live a full and healthy life in the same sort of conditions that chickens live in.

Cats and buns can live together very happily though. They are both litter trainable animals, they both groom and bond in a similar way. You can also train rabbits to a harness/lead and to do other tricks easily. It would obviously depend on the cat, but plenty of cats and buns get along well. My instagram feed is full of them 😍

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm curious your reaction to putting a mini size rabbit or 2 in a chicken coop with 4 silkies.

My reason is so rabbit could have shared heat lamp, shared heated water, better shelter in winter than in my barn, better daylight than in the barn, and free access to fenced area outdoors when the weather is decent.

There is also a cat in the coop, but she is still young and not yet loose in the coop - maybe never. She is in a kennel (with litterbox, etc) in the coop overnight only.

Neither chickens nor rabbits for food production.

Bad idea? No big deal?
I would be careful. rabbits and chickens are mortal enemies. once that rabbit gets a whiff of the chickens he's gonna be out for blood. next time you open the cage the bunnies will run out and start ripping the chickens to pieces. it's a terrible sight.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Screenshot_20201016-193316_Firefox.jpg