Rabbit poop

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When you use rabbit pooh for fertilizer, I know that you can just dump it on top of the soil and plants to help fertilize. However, can you start seedlings with pure rabbit poop, or do you need some soil or something else in there as well? Thanks guys! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd have some soil in with that, Betta. I don't know that rabbit pellets would have all the minerals, nutrients and proper pH you made need for seedlings.

Ask Pat...she will know more than I! :thumbsup

Oooohhhhhhh, Paaaa-aaaaat......... :frow

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would use it more as a fertilizer along with some good soil or compost.

The best thing about rabbit manure is that it will not burn your plants. Great for top dressing around your veggies or building up a saggy lawn. Heck they even work in a lawn spreader!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I would use it more as a fertilizer along with some good soil or compost.

The best thing about rabbit manure is that it will not burn your plants. Great for top dressing around your veggies or building up a saggy lawn. Heck they even work in a lawn spreader!
Lol. I love the idea of flinging poop in such an organized matter! Too funny. :D

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I also use it as top dressing. And would not recommend starting seeds with it. It's too lumpy for that anyhow. Unless you compost it a bit first.
But if it is already in the bed and I am planting something new, I don't worry about it.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We've been raising rabbits for awhile - and their poop is simply wonderful for the garden. We put a handful in the hole where we plant tomatoes and they grow so well.

If you have chickens, they LOVE scratching under the rabbit hutches. Throw some grass clippings, leaves, etc. under there and let those birds make quick compost for you.:woot

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
And don't forget about the urine! :D

When we were raising meat rabbits in my detached garage we fixed up heavy plastic (about the thickness used in making a trash can) under each hanging wire pen. We fashioned it so that they worked like a funnel and had a spout at the front of each cage. We then hung a bucket under the spout and all of the urine and the nice little rolly poop rolled down and into my buckets. Each day I would just empty the buckets. The trays got sprayed down about once a week when they needed it. This kept my bunnies immaculately clean and kept my neighbors OUT of my business! ;)

I would drain all of the urine off and add to water it made a great liquid fertilizer! Then the poo was put in a big covered barrel (trash can with holes in the bottom) until I needed it to use as top dressing or fertilizer. It was nice and dry when I used it. That kept it easier to use, drew less flies and worked better in the spreader! :p

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My goddaughter's grandfather raises meat rabbits and he has baby pools under his rabbit cages to catch all the pee/poop and uses them as worm farms. Double duty! Anytime he needs fertilizer for the garden he just scoops some out and spreads it in.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have got to get more rabbits this year. I only have one lonesome little lionhead, but that poop is valuable!