Rabbit Question

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My doe had her first litter, and I only see one baby. The baby isnt even in the nest. There may be more babies but just that one as of now. Any advice, suggestions?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Put the baby into the nest and gently feel around for more...they may be well covered by the down. I usually just gently feel around and do a head count but do not pull any out unless they are cold, which usually means they are dead.

Then leave her be so she can settle into her new family. Disturbing her too much now may result in her trampling the babies or even biting them.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Usually a doe's first litter is a total loss. It sounds like yours had hers "on the wire". A rabbit can't move her babies into the nest box and wire babies usually die. She might have only had one baby, or she might have freaked out and eaten the others.

Breed her again (now). Rabbits can be bred again the day they give birth (!). If her next litter is not healthy, no human assitance, and at least 6 in the litter, consider culling her.

You can handle rabbit babies immediately - mom won't abandon them. I practice nest box management. Meaning I am in the nest box ASAP and cull on Day 1, sometimes again on days 5 and 10.

Know what you want and need to see in your herd and cull heavily. Cull can mean either kill, sell, or raise to butcher. Just don't breed it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
She had them on the wire only becaus I had the sexes backwards. This was supposed to be a male and the male was supposed to be a female. Bit this afternonthe fur wasmoving so I have hope. But I am gonna breed her again in two weeks and see how she does.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
farmboy said:
She had them on the wire only becaus I had the sexes backwards. This was supposed to be a male and the male was supposed to be a female. Bit this afternonthe fur wasmoving so I have hope. But I am gonna breed her again in two weeks and see how she does.
That sounds hopeful then. Don't be afraid to poke around in there and see what you have. If she didn't have a choice about using a nest box, I wouldn't worry about future litters. Hopefully your re-breeding is more sucessful.

How old is she? The only time I didn't have a litter 10+ was and accidental litter that I didn't increase the doe's food ration. she only had 3. I'm guessing the gender-mix-up could be related, but watch out for your next breeding that her food dish is never empty. I give my breeding rabbits, show and wool rabbits that are growing coat a daily supplement. I use Calf Manna. A $20 bag can last just about forever at 1 teaspoon per rabbit per day.