rabbit recipes

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have just dispatched our first meat rabbits.:thumbsup

So now I need some recipes.

Please share your favorite way to cook rabbit.

I know how to fry one and how to put together stew, looking for something different.

Thanks for all input

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Use any chicken recipe. I love rabbit and dumplings. I also love BBQ rabbit. For older tougher rabbits that you know are going to be stringy. Boil until tender enough to pull off the bone. Shred it, spread it out on a cookie sheet and pour on the sauce. Makes great bbq sandwiches.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
My aunt makes an awesome rabbit stew. Make like you would with a boiler hen.

I roast them. Stuff with onions, garlic, root veg etc, rub with spices, salt and pepper, and pour a beer of your choice over it. Cover with foild and roast long and slow, at about 200F, until the meat is fork tender and falling off the bones. Pull the foil off and let it brown, and enjoy.
:drool

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Does anyone cook rabbit in a crockpot? Seems like it would be tender that way. Just looking for ideas as we are considering raising them.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Rabbit can be cooked in the crockpot and is good. Rabbit and chicken taste so much alike that at my house they are interchangeable. If the recipe calls for chicken, use rabbit instead. Fried, boiled, chopped, diced, with gravy, baked, etc.

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas,this is our first time with rabbits and it is good to hear that I can use like chicken.