RABBIT!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I decided to breed newzealand rabbits and want to find as many recipies as possible. We have 3 girls I can breed in a few months so I'm excited, did buy 2 extra rabbits to eat as the kid selling them only wanted $5 each

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ohhh... Rabbit! Yummy! I have some recipes, I just have to find where I put them. My favorite is baked BBQ rabbit. I haven't used the recipes in a while as now I just cook it however I think sounds good.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I LOVE eating rabbit!

Years ago the Frugal Gourmet from PBS tv had a whole show devoted to rabbit recipes.

My favorite was "Bunny and Noodles"

1 rabbit cut up in fryer pieces
4 carrots roughly chopped
1 small onion
2 stalks celery roughly chopped
1-2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1-2 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 teaspoon rosemary (always a good herb with rabbit meat)
water
1 cup frozen peas
salt to taste
2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)
Your favorite homemade egg noodles
---
Add the rabbit, carrots, celery, onion and spices to a crockpot and cover with water. Set on LOW heat for at least 3 hours until rabbit is falling off of the bones.

Remove the rabbit and de-bone. Meanwhile turn the remaining liquid to the high setting and add in the noodles cook until the noodles are mostly done. Cornstarch can be added if necessary to thicken the sauce. Usually the noodles will do the job.

When the noodles are mostly done add the meat back into the pot stir well and salt and pepper to taste.

Finally add in the frozen peas. You want them to heat through but still be firm and green. Chopped green onion can be added at this time if you want as well.

This makes a delicious one pot supper!

I usually add the heavier amounts of mustard and pepper as we like it with a little kick around here. I never add salt when cooking the meat. I think it tends to dry out meat and rabbit tends to dry out easily anyway.

Hope you like it.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I don't have any specific rabbit recipes. Any receipe which calls for chicken works great for rabbit. I love bbq rabbit, rabbit and dumplings, rabbit noodle soup made with chicken broth. And the list goes on.

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dntd said:
Ok, I decided to breed newzealand rabbits and want to find as many recipies as possible. We have 3 girls I can breed in a few months so I'm excited, did buy 2 extra rabbits to eat as the kid selling them only wanted $5 each
When my son was in 4-H we had Palomino rabbits and ate a lot of them. Any chicken recipe can be used. Shredded BBQ is good and fried is yummy. Rabbit is a denser meat than chicken so cooking times may differ. I used to take "chicken" and noodles to church suppers until my son said something about rabbit and the word got around that it wasn't really chicken and the city people freaked! :D;) It left more for us and I started taking jello salad. lol

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you use a smoker for rabbit? i have a stove top smoker and love it, no sure if rabbit would work. The noodle recipe sound good, I might just try that with my young buck i need to process;) My own mom even though she was raised on rabbits said I had some thing wrong with my head to kill a cute bunny! odd because my family are hunters and eat wild game, I guess farmed raised rabbits bother some poeple, I would feel more grossed out eatingh a wild one because of all the parasites.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The book we got when we started with rabbits said to process them and freeze them. Then when you wanted to eat them, you forgot about them being that cute fuzzy bunny you used to feed daily (and talk to).

All this talk about rabbits made me pull some out of the freezer - and it's right, I can't remember which one is which. :gig

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
When You take 6 meat rabbits and bring them inside for a night you'll have no issues processing them ,my rule is we don't name our food!. Yuck rabbits have a musky smell the last one smelled quite strong . Killing so far my problem is that I thought I could broom stick them with my broom but it snapped so I had to knock it out then process it( had wood next to me!). I was thinking of getting the rabbit wringer but the shipping is almost as much as the tool,Next time I'm, using rebar.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gary has a heavy flat piece of metal about 2" wide and 18" long that he uses. I can help skin, but I can't whack them. In fact, I close my eyes until it's done. It's quick and painless, for them, not me.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Rabbits die fast. Their little skulls are very thin behind their ears and their necks break easy. They don't have a heat cycle and ovulate on contact. They have six to eight babies every little and lots of litters each year.

It is the Creators way to provide food for the carnivore!

Rabbit also works in Indian cuisine. It makes a mean curry!