rag rug

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
when i was younger (think 12 years old) I made a rag rug with an old toothbrush made into a needle that a family friend taught me to make. She is no longer alive so I am not able to reach out to her but I would like to make a couple rag rugs for the house as a winter project. Does anyone have any easy, I am talking E---A----S----Y, directions that I could run with? I might have some old tshirts laying around that I can strip and sew together into long strips but I might have to go to good will or something too.

Thanks

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I started a rag rug but didn't finish it. I just braided and sewed and braided and sewed. I didn't follow directions. I was surprised how quickly it used up my fabric scraps. I ran out when it was about 12" diameter and I gave up. I was thinking about this yesterday! I would have to buy fabric if I was going to try again. I have issues with wanting it to match and be pretty...

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could do the braided version, I didn't even think about that!

I was only thinking about the ones that are looped or "sewed" together in the shape.

I am going to go through old clothes of the girls-I had a box for goodwill started so going to pull from there. I nee done for the kitchen and one for the main floor bathroom for sure.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a whole bag of scraps; everything from leftovers from sewing projects to worn-out underwear. Some of it for things like rag rugs or crazy quilts, some for gun-cleaning rags... whatever. Also several worn out knitted stuff that I will unravel for more yarn when I need it. I keep and recycle almost everything- even paper towels- dry and re use the ones that are just wet, use the greasy ones to lubricate something.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got a whole bag of scraps; everything from leftovers from sewing projects to worn-out underwear. Some of it for things like rag rugs or crazy quilts, some for gun-cleaning rags... whatever. Also several worn out knitted stuff that I will unravel for more yarn when I need it. I keep and recycle almost everything- even paper towels- dry and re use the ones that are just wet, use the greasy ones to lubricate something.
Very smart and good ideas. We reuse our paper towels as well.

I have to start keeping more scraps

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dad's mom would save scrap fabric from old shirts and dresses, then tear them into long strips, about 2 inches wide. She would sew the 2 inch ends together on the sewing machine, do she ended up with a HUGE long fabric strip, with yes.. unfinished sides.

Then she would crochet the long cloth strip, starting in the middle, to make a circle or oval.

As she crocheted she would roll/fold the unfinished cloth edges inwards, so the unfinished edges were completely hidden, and formed more of a rope.

I think when the rug was the size she wanted she simply tucked in the end... no more sewing.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And quilts! Old shirts and dresses -- they wore dresses then :lol: -- were often cut into squares for quilts. While there were wonderful patterns, these were usually made for needed covers. Things were used and repurposed then, way more than now. Frugal necessity more than a green movement.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When I was 6 years old, my great grandmother showed me how she made hook rugs with strips of fabric and burlap. Fast forward many years later, my grandmother had two of Mama Wall's rugs in her attic and said I could have them. They were brittle from the attic heat, frayed, needed repair. I soaked them in the bathtub with lots of fabric softener, draining out the dirty water, letting the rug drain overnight and refilling the tub to do it again. Then I laid out a sheet in the shade and transferred the rug outside to dry. Upshot is, I repaired those old rugs, hand sewed a denim backing on one made of blue jean legs. I was able to save and repair them because of that one time Mama Wall took a few minutes to show a child what she was doing. I never forgot it. I still have those rugs. Mama Wall died over 45 years ago and probably didn't make any hook rugs from her 80's to 100's. So I would guess those rugs are no less than 70 years old, probably much older. I treasure them.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I was 6 years old, my great grandmother showed me how she made hook rugs with strips of fabric and burlap. Fast forward many years later, my grandmother had two of Mama Wall's rugs in her attic and said I could have them. They were brittle from the attic heat, frayed, needed repair. I soaked them in the bathtub with lots of fabric softener, draining out the dirty water, letting the rug drain overnight and refilling the tub to do it again. Then I laid out a sheet in the shade and transferred the rug outside to dry. Upshot is, I repaired those old rugs, hand sewed a denim backing on one made of blue jean legs. I was able to save and repair them because of that one time Mama Wall took a few minutes to show a child what she was doing. I never forgot it. I still have those rugs. Mama Wall died over 45 years ago and probably didn't make any hook rugs from her 80's to 100's. So I would guess those rugs are no less than 70 years old, probably much older. I treasure them.
this is so awesome to hear. what a great memory to share