Rainwater Pillow Bladder - Rain collection / storage

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Miss.....3300 gallons under ground? Wow, now thats some serious water. Does it fill with rain water? Or is that where you store the hauled water?

Do you shop around for water or have a source? I Just wonder how much it cost for you? Our water is supplied by our water district and runs about 2.50 per unit. But a unit is like 700 gallons.

Hence the cost of tanks outweighing the cost of water.

gina
The 3300 gallons underground is strictly for potable water. We don't have a well or town water, so we have to haul water. There is a bulk water station 2 minutes from where we live, and we fill up there. We used to use the 450 gal tank to fill our holding tank with, but we recently bought a 1500 gal tank so we can make fewer trips. Our cost for the bulk water is about $40 every two months.

It's funny you say it serious water. It would last us approx 3 -4weeks, although we could be super tight with it. I keep thinking--what if.....? will it be enough?

The tanks like in the ad you posted, we use those to collect rain water.

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Honestly, I have no idea how much water we use for garden, etc. I'd need to figure that out before I go to try a system like this.

It'd be silly to buy a huge storage system that I could only use once a year (since it doesn't rain so much during the late spring / summer) and have it run out after 15 waterings. Thank you $2 a gallon water! :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Missthenortth, It sounds like a huge amount of water but I am sure if I checked my bill I would be over that as well. Our RV has a 110 gallon tank. We dry camp in the desert and I know that will last us about 5 days if we are very careful. I just think houses in general with dishwashers, washing machines and long hot showers use more. lol

Nifty I know what you mean. We usually only have one good storm every year. Just like the one that just past. Even if I had 6 tanks under my porch they would not last very long.

I guess some is better than none. I would love a well.

gina

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I use between 600-800 gallons a month but try to conserve everything within reason. I pay $6.50 a month for the first 1300 gallons, I sent the well district $100 last February and still have a $30 credit. Around these parts they have communal wells, mine has about 400 people on it, a friend near the Kentucky Lakes pays $20 a month on an un-metered line. Here in western Kentucky we get about 40-50 inches of rain a year.

I still have all the parts from the rain harvest system from my other house but am waiting for the new cabin to reinstall it. I only had 60 gallons of storage but it filled up every few days and only used it for the toilet and laundry. I washed clothes once a week and it used all 60 gallons for just one load. Using rainwater in the city like I did was a big money saver as they charged more for sewer usage than for water, I paid $30 a month rather than the normal $80.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes the sewer bill is something I don't have here. I know they charge based on how much water you use. But I have a septic. I like to think of it as the ultimate grey water system.. Nothing goes to waste. :D

g

Latest posts