Raised waffles

mom'sfolly

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just thought I would share this recipe. This is my new favorite waffle recipe. It makes a crispy, light yeast waffle. This is a great recipe, expecially if you have extra kids around for an overnight. It makes 8 eight inch diameter round waffles.

Ingredients: cup warm water.
1 package active dry yeast
2 cups milk, warmed
cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 eggs
tsp baking soda
Directions:
Use a rather large mixing bowl-the batter will rise to double its original volume. Put the water in the mixing bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes to dissolve. Add milk, melted butter, salt, sugar and flour to the yeast mixture and beat until smooth and well blended. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.

Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda and stir until well mixed. The batter will be very thin. Pour to of a cup of batter into a very hot waffle iron for the first waffle, bake until golden and crisp and repeat. Or store the remaining batter in the refrigerator for several days. Makes 8 waffles.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That sounds really good. I like the fact that you mix it the night before.

I think I might throw in some vanilla flavoring and pecan pieces . . .

Or blueberries . . .

Or apples & cinnamon . . . :D

Thanks for sharing.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
That sounds really yummy! I got a big bag of yeast at a great price and want to get it used up before it gets too old... Have you ever tried using any whole grains with this recipe?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
This sounds like the recipes for the famous Belgian Waffles that use yeast.
We just got a waffle iron as a gift and I can't wait to try your recipe.
I also wonder if it would be worthwhile to try pastry flour in waffles, too. Don't know if the yeast would like that flour, though.

mom'sfolly

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I've used half whole wheat flour, but the whole wheat I usually use is chapati flour. It is a whole wheat flour made for Indian bread, and it is very finely ground, more like pastry flour. I use chapati flour in most of my baking. Its easy to find here because we have a huge Asian population and many Idian food stores.