raisin rabbits

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am lookin to get a couple rabbits one male and one female raise them to sell and eat. i am wonderin if i can feed them just hay and fresh greens and things i stopped feeding goats grain they dont need it so was wondering if it possble to feed out rabbits with no grain?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No idea about what to feed rabbits, just liked the title of your thread and thought it would be funny if it was reversed to read, "Rabbit Raisins" :lol:

(Sorry, I know that was bad but I couldn't help myself! I'm sure someone here knows the answer :))

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
also wondering if i can feed them just alfafa hay and grass and nothing else? when their breeding/kiddin and raisin young

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have does that refuse everything but fresh greens, hay, and grass clippings. They won't touch pellets at all. And yes, they can raise young on that diet as well. Mine have, and do often.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually, maybe I do know something about rabbits--we have huge jackrabbits that over winter under our large spruce tree in our front yard, and their favourite food is clover and alfalfa. They seem to raise their babies just fine every year just living on forage, and this is in the city.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thought you might find this thread helpful:

What to grow for rabbits

We fed ours as much "fresh" food as we could but still gave them pellets. Most of ours were rescues and some would barely touch the fresh food and ate mostly pellets, others were just the opposite.

Can't wait to get back into raising them again (for meat) and am working on getting areas, of what fresh food I plan to feed them, going.

Hope this is some help!

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
so if im feeding fresh greens only how much alfafa hay should be fed a day?

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Give them free choice hay. They need the ruffage for their gut to work properly.
You can go to backyardherds.com and look around. There are several people there who grow their own rabbit feed that can help you out with this.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you have to be carefull with afalfa hay, itstoo high in sugar to be the main diet.
timmothy hay should be the staple...
but if youve got enough timmothy and can grow lots of fresh year round theres no reason to feed pellet, pellet food is just pelletized timmothy hay and whateevr ther things they decide to add to charge you more.
remember dark leafies (kale for example rather than iceburg) dendelion, clover, alfalfa as a treat, carrot, peas, tuprnip and beet greens, grass clippings (assuming pestici de free) ect...the hardest part is growing enough fresh in the winter months to supliment the hay.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i herd that alfafa hay is to high in protien and all this other stuff but if one is not feeding grain then i wouldnlt think their would be a problem same with way with my goats i feed 90 percent alfafa 10 percent grass to my goats and whatever they want to eat outside and no grain to them and they do just fine of course i can feed them sun flowers and corn apples leaves when their avaible (seasonal crops