Raising geese for down...anyone?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Although, some ppl like the geese for pets, and want a way to "use them" for a profit of sorts.

If I had more land, I would have geese. so I would definitely entertain a humane way of using them for a hobby/profit.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Although, some ppl like the geese for pets, and want a way to "use them" for a profit of sorts.

If I had more land, I would have geese. so I would definitely entertain a humane way of using them for a hobby/profit.
So down, or is that not humane?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
ticks said:

Not quite following you there. :hu

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ticks said:
Actually, that's not a bad idea at all. I think the price to buy, feed, and house the geese would be more than if you just bought the pillow.
:lol: Well, I would like to have the geese for more than down production. I just thought, as I will have them anyway, why not get a breed known for down picking and utilize an otherwise wasted resource. I would like to have a breeding pair, sell the eggs or goslings, let them mow my orchard, keep the bugs out of my garden when the chickens are too destructive, maybe eat an offspring...who knows?

I make miniature quilts and I would like to use the down for these and pillows. Why buy one that was produced commercially, when I can make my own? I mean, we are posting on a self-sufficient forum, are we not? :rolleyes:

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
ticks said:

Not quite following you there. :hu
You would make a profit off down?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, ticks...just like the yard sales! :lol: Down-filled items are a little pricey. Add hand-made to the mix and you can sell them for a good price. If the money you make is even a little more than your expenditure, then it is considered profit. If you free range a goose on pasture, sell the goslings or eggs for hatching, eat extra offspring, harvest the down for hand made articles, it is conceivable that one may make a profit. Even if one doesn't make a profit, it can make raising geese for fun a more profitable venture.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yes, ticks...just like the yard sales! :lol: Down-filled items are a little pricey. Add hand-made to the mix and you can sell them for a good price. If the money you make is even a little more than your expenditure, then it is considered profit. If you free range a goose on pasture, sell the goslings or eggs for hatching, eat extra offspring, harvest the down for hand made articles, it is conceivable that one may make a profit. Even if one doesn't make a profit, it can make raising geese for fun a more profitable venture.
What she said!! :coolsun

RLAZ

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Do you make pillows or quilts out of goose down?

I'm just wondering if you already do or if your planning to....?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I plan to do so. I also have an idea I might try this weekend...now, hear me out....

I have an old down throw that I am going to turn into a chick-mama. I'm going to design a chicken body that has an empty cavity in the middle with a draw-string opening. Just the right size for a 20 oz. pop bottle. I am going to sew on "wings" filled with down that have a wire frame-up. The whole thing will resemble a chicken and the wings will be posable. One can put hot water in the bottle and put it in the middle. If one were to place the "chick-mama", with the hot water in it, in a brooder and pose the wings in an outspread position about 2 in. off the floor, with the ends (wing tips) bent to stand on the floor....it would resemble a hen with her wings outspread. With the warmth from the bottle, surrounded by the down, and the wings being filled with down...I bet the chicks I have now will sleep under this, and remain more comfortable and cozy than under a lamp. What say you, folks?

1acrefarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Now that is thinking out of the box. It very well should work. I wonder how long it would stay warm?