Raising meal worms as feed supplement

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My beetles die off too. I think they are supposed to. So far my colony looks to be pretty healthy :) It has been so long since i was here I forgot about this thread completely :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My biggest problem is getting rid of the dead shells and beetles. Taking the container outside in a good wind works, but not these 20 degree north winds we have.:(

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all my beatles are dead, and there are TONS of little mealyworms in there! havent counted yet though.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
all my beatles are dead, and there are TONS of little mealyworms in there! havent counted yet though.
Good job :thumbsup

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Only on this site can you give a thumbs up for having worms :lol: I find them at the bottom of my feed barrel sometimes and just give them to the chickens. Could I start a colony or do I need the beetles ?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If those are actually meal worms, you could start a colony easily with them. They'll turn into the beetles for you eventually, and lay eggs and raise more.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They are meal worms. And they seem to do very well in my greenhouse where I keep feed in the winter. How big are the beetles? I could gather a few as well.

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am thinking of going off all store bought feed for the chickens. Between mealies and fodder I was hoping it would be enough. I am now concerned about the calcium ratio. If I just ground up the shells would that be enough to balance them out?

Latest posts