raising rabbits or rats for dogs

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very smart, yes. We have a few "pet" ones. But I am used to them being a food source for the snakes anyway. But I wouldn't use any one item as a food source, and to feed all my dogs rats I would need 10+ per day! I would need a LOT more breeders!

We do have some hairless rats...do you suppose I would still need to skin them? Lol

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We had a rat that was destined to be snake food, but my daughter got attached and she became a pet. We eventually got into raising them for the snake and it was pretty easy and cheap. I feed my dogs a good dry food now with no corn, wheat or soy. Very happy with it but Im thinking if the SHTF and commercial dog food is either hard to find or just to expensive, what would an alternative food source be. I plan on raising meat chickens for my family, but think raising enough extra for the dogs will be to much. I figured rats would be the cheapest and easiest to raise. Once again, Im not looking for changing them over unless things get bad. Just trying to plan ahead for the other members of my pack. It may not be the ideal diet, but hopefully good enough to keep them from starving to death.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My dogs have eaten a raw diet of meat and bones for over 5 years now. I raise rabbits for food and have 5 chickens for bug control and eggs. I do not believe dog can live off of rabbit alone. It is too lean. I think it is a nice addition and in my case my dogs eat the organs. I think rats may work out but I am not sure of fat content... if they are too lean you will need to add other things to their diet.
I suppliment my dogs food with real kefir, fresh eggs (shell & all), whole fish or other carcass (when available). I do add pumpkin and fish oil as often as I can and am recently adding seaweed to their diet and mine.
You also have to concider your feelings on the pry's hair being left behind in the yard.
Wild game is another great thing to feed them and many of us have friends who hunt and need to clean out the freezer yearly. Another nice source for different meats.
Good luck to you........

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you look at the price of a good quality dry dog food they run at least $1.19 per lb. My dogs main diet is chicken leg quarters @ .69 lb @ wal-mart. Yes, they get other items......... but that has been the staple for years. I think you can still stay under the $1.20 lb with some wise shopping and a bit of work.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Very smart, yes. We have a few "pet" ones. But I am used to them being a food source for the snakes anyway. But I wouldn't use any one item as a food source, and to feed all my dogs rats I would need 10+ per day! I would need a LOT more breeders!

We do have some hairless rats...do you suppose I would still need to skin them? Lol
No, you would not need to. I have a pomeranian who gets the dead baby bunnies. They are a nice whole carcass for her. And, the kit does not go to waste. I try to use everything I can.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
citylife said:
the funny farm6 said:

No, you would not need to. I have a pomeranian who gets the dead baby bunnies. They are a nice whole carcass for her. And, the kit does not go to waste. I try to use everything I can.
I've started giving those to the chickens. I'm hoping they will associate those with the live mice they are currently ignoring and start going after them.