Random and intentional acts of kindness

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I really love these stories! They certainly restore my faith in the goodness of mankind...which, I must admit, has been flagging lately.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Florezian said:
Well I was on the bus on my way off campus today and the whole experience just made my heart swell.

There is a regular; a woman dressed in nun-type clothing. (I don't know the proper term). Anyway, she was running late to the stop and the bus driver caught a glimpse of her and her 4 kids briskly going through the mall stop. Still a bit aways, but he decided to wait 5 minutes for them to get to the bus and load. Even though, he was already a bit behind schedule and not even completely sure if they were getting on yet.

So shes struggling to get one of the kids out of the stroller, and a person offers her their seat so she can work on the stroller. The two middle kids are standing (bus was super crowded) and the mother tells them no way can they stay standing. Two separate people move their belongings and help them find a seat. Meanwhile an older man grabs the stroller while the mom takes the kid out. Bus starts forward and the older man with the stroller jolts foward a bit, I reached to grab the back of his shirt but by then the second major jolt threw him almost to his face. Two young men bear hugged him and saved him from falling. Both were of other races that are so stereotyped and discriminated against in my area. It was an immediate reaction, one kid even dropped his textbook to get the man.

Afterwards the guy was saying it had been such a weird feeling.... to feel himself falling and then being held up. He was convinced he was going down, yet the guys were so quick to grab him, even he didnt expect it.

It is so troubling when people view "bus people" as these dirty, moraless bums, when really that isn't the case at all.
Very nice story. I think that most people are good at the core ... its just that the bad ones get the publicity. But I do have to wonder that the mother thought her children shouldn't have to stand. Why not? Why should adults have to vacate their seats for children? *When I was young .... * :lol: children stood for their elders.

And I'm sorry that you needed to specify that the helpers were of discriminated against minorities. I understand why you did, but I still find it sad. People are people ... some good, some bad ... I look forward to the day that we can say that "2 men helped save a man from falling" without worrying or wondering about the color of their skin, or the building they pray in.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Why not? Why should adults have to vacate their seats for children?
I'm pretty sure this mother was more concerned with their safety if they were standing when the bus was moving. I know I'd be that way and insist that my kids sit and I would stand in this situation. Any other time, I would agree that adults sit while children vacate their seats for them. This isn't something that people seem to teach their children nowadays but I was taught to do this when I was a kid and my children were taught the same.