Random Question. Will a cat control rats?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I ended up posting a wanted ad on Craigslist for a Manx and not soon after two different ads for manx cats popped up. One wanted a $40 rehoming fee and the other was free. So we went and picked the free Tuxedo Manx today.

The online descriptions of Manx cats do them justice, they are very doglike and she was amazed at all the barn animals. I started to worry because even though she is 5 months old, she started stalking the free range Sumatra chickens. She really just wanted to check them out and then they ran from her turning it into a game. She was also running around under the rabbits, trying to smell/play with them.

None of the barnyard animals are very enthused at her presence.
LOL

I let her out of her crate for a few minutes today, to let her get a stroll around the barn. She immediately went to every corner and nook in the barn. I just had to smile and think the rodents aren't going to know what hit them. She'll stay in the crate a few days and I'll let her out throughout the day, that way she can get used to her surroundings and the new noises. I was just worried that she would panic and run and that would be the end of that. LOL

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Great score! Sounds like a bold and inquisitive cat to start stalking and investigating shortly after arrival.....I think you just got your rodent control!

Any pics of the "Rat King"? :D He sounds pretty!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
great work!

since we have our own 'rescue' we never had to ask for barn cats.. mostly the vet just keeps asking if we will take more! (no!)... but i'll tell you what, our barncats more than pay for their kibble. we are almost rodent-free. we dont even have to TRY with our feed bags - they are just open. our 'kind of the barn cats' just sits up there, fat and happy, waiting for mice to swing on in.

one thing i heard - but do not know from my experience and yes it depends on the individual cat - that cats will kill the baby rats.. but may or may not get the adults.

but either way sounds like you have a gem! pix please!

and what is kitty's name? we named our tuxedo cat Teddi Grumpkins.

:)

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Great score! Sounds like a bold and inquisitive cat to start stalking and investigating shortly after arrival.....I think you just got your rodent control!

Any pics of the "Rat King"? :D He sounds pretty!
I'll get pictures of her tomorrow.

She looks very similar to this kitty. (Picture is not mine, found on google images)

Bob2%20Manx%20Tuxedo%20cat.JPG

Her hair isn't as long as that one, at least I don't think it is, but I think it will grow out as she grows up.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Her name is Avelyn(or sounded like what the person said) and they said she knew her name. So I'm not sure if I'll change it or not.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I have one that looks just like that, but he's blind in one eye. His name is Mooch and he has never been seen with a kill. My boys maintain that he hunts but we just don't see him do it.... :rolleyes:

I say, yeah, he hunts....the food bowl! :rolleyes:

I have a red tabby tuxedo that is a hunter supreme and he is priceless around here for rodent control. I can leave open bags of feed, seeds, grains, etc. all over this place and never see mice evidence. His name is Spike and I wouldn't take a hundred bucks for him!

I see the occasional rat in the outhouse where he cannot hunt, so I slip in a bar of OneBite in that space.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have 2 ex-city dweller cats... both came to us feral after spending time at the Toronto Humane Society. They ate the rats in the barn O_O I couldn't believe it. Then they started on the weasels and voles and the like.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I have three cats and they take care of all the rodents around here. If you have alot of rodents you might need more than one cat. Cats are different. One of my three does nothing but hunt....it is what he LIVES for. The other two hunt too, but kind of just when something crosses their path. The first cat does the major work around here. Prepare to have a lot of dead bodies in places like the porch or the worst was my pillow! They want to show you their lovely prize. I must say I don't see many rat bodies although other rodents their size may just be more common where I live. We have tons of moles and mice.

I have a golden retriever on the other hand that kills any rat he finds around here. He thinks it is the funnest squeekie toy ever. I know he kills them because he brings them back like a play toy.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, we have pictures!

I was out in the roundpen with the horse today and she decided she was going to come out and steal the show. LOL

cats.jpg

kitty.jpg

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh!! she is purrrrrrrr-fect! look at those whiskers!

yep, she'll catch your rodents. great job!
:)

Latest posts