Random questions about a little bit of everything SS

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok. So I am a first time home buyer. Sometime in the not so distance future (5 years?) I would like to buy a house, with the goal of being as self sufficient as possible while spending as little money up front as possible. Here is what I plan on having (eventually):
- 40'x40' minimum garden
- Green house to be used to house a couple 500gal pools and some fish tanks (I want to grow tilapia)
- Rabbits. Quite a few, as I would like to produce a minimum of 1000 pounds of meat a year
- A few goats. I plan on having nubian does and a boer buck. Kids will be used for meat, does for milk
- Chickens for eggs and meat
- Possibly a cow (to breed for beef)

I'm hoping to get at least ten acres. If I can't find it with a house on the property then I will get a travel trailer and live there. I'd like to have at least a few large freezers and all of the fish stuff running on solar energy, maybe more if possible. I plan on spending a hefty chunk of change on the solar panels (which is why I'd like to save as much as possible in the purchase price)

So, now for the questions :)

- Do you negotiate the price of land like you would a house?
- Should I look for/avoid anything specific?
- Where do I buy solar panels?
- How do I install them?
- I've seen solar panel shingles, are those worth it?
-Anything else you would like to add? (I seriously know next to nothing about this stuff, so any little bit helps!)

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So, I have done extensive research myself, and while I am no expert, I may be able to help you.

I don't know much about buying a house, but just know, everything is negotiable. Also know you should test the soil, and do a run through of the property before you buy it.

Solar Panels You can literally Buy at Costco. But this website has an extensive catalog: http://www.wholesalesolar.com/

I don't know if it is the cheapest, but it is what I look at.

solar shingles are definently not worth it. Each shingle is low producing, expensive, and it is mostly just for aesthetics.

remember, a grid-tie system is less expensive and easier to take care of an off-grid system. With an Off-Grid system, it will still not be quite self sufficient, as you will have to replace batteries every couple of years. If there is a power outage, I imagine a Grid-tie system would be able to supply you in the summer, with limited power during the winter.

Here is a great resource to help you out. Has calculator's and everything: http://www.wholesalesolar.com/solar-cost.html

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My main things above all of those would be locating a water source, that is usable on the property.

As well I'd skip the goats all together, and do a milk cow and use her calf for beef.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Buying land is not the same as buying land with a house on it. The original builder did a heck of a lot of work before that house was started. I strongly suggest you HIRE professional help. someone that deals in land, that will be your agent, Not some agent that is working selling land.
Before I go on I am going to explain that I am in the process of selling a few acres [my farm was half taken for a highway that wiped out basically all the impovements] I have a willing buyer (neighbor adjoining who wants to expand) The big problems [so far] is the status of the land. It has no improvements so it is considered raw land under one set of rules. It was used and taxed as farm land. different set of rules [can't let it grow up to be timbered.] There are so many hoops to jump through and rules to be discovered and followed that it is like a bad dream. I finally knocked down a section of fence and told the future buyer to use the pasture and the water.
Things left to be resolved.
Homeowner association-his,
City&County planning board,
City&County zoning board.
soil conservatiom district
water comversation district
Air quality board [cow farts=greenhouse gas]
Gas production board State [Natural gas=cow farts only buried deep underground]
State and federal wetlands comission.
US Army corp of engineers.
Some explantions The highway changed the drainage what had been minor wetlands draining to the north are becoming larger wetlands on my land and draining to the south acually changing river basins Old flow was to a dirty old creek. New flow will be to a fresh water resivore that supplies the state capital

My point is that it can take a lot of running around to get all the permits and OKs to use your land as you want it.~gd

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see you're in Washington.

If you buy land on the dry side, water rights will be the biggest issue. Make sure you have them and aren't on the bottom of the list or there may not be enough water for you.

My aunt ran into the issue of not enough water because someone up the canal was taking water on days that they couldn't. The water district had to get involved and it took months to clear up and court. The guy pulled a gun on the district officer who went to open the gate. After he got out of jail, issues resumed and my aunt moved.

If you buy land on the wet side, water will still be an issue but the opposite type. Make sure there is little to no wetland on the property. With the buffers there may not be much usuable land. Acreage has to have a wetland survey before you can build a dwelling.

We have wetland, but no official buffers because we are grandfathered in and aren't surveyed. It's a tiny 1900 frontier house. We can't build a new place without a survey. We can add on and build outbuildings.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
From the research I have done you get much more for your money if you buy a property with existing structures. Barn, small home , well etc...

As for solar, I think the most expensive part usually turns out to be the batteries. They don't have a very long shelf life. Be sure to read up on that.

There is a great book by Readers Digest called Back to Basics. Its old but has a lot of valuable info on choosing a homestead.

Good luck.

g

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My advice is to do one thing at a time. Get suitable agricultural land first. That's the most important thing. Everything else can be done in sequence.

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FutureFarmGuy: Thanks for the link! I would have never thought of getting the soil tested :)

BarredBuff: The reason I chose goats is for meat as well as milk. I don't drink milk, but would use it to make soaps and feed as a supplement to the other animals. I'm not just raising meat for me, but my dogs as well (I feed prey model raw) and they need a variety.

gd: Thank you for the info. Permits are one thing that makes me very nervous as I don't know what I'm doing, and don't want to not get one or get screwed over. I do plan on getting an agent when I am ready to buy. I'm still in the saving phase right now, just tring to learn as much as I can before the time comes to buy :)

Hinotori: I was considering buying property with a river close by, as then I would never want for water should something happen. Would that be considered wetland, or is that more swamp type land?

TanksHill: I will try and find that book. Most of the properties I've seen around here are at least drilled for well and have power at the road already. I am still learning about solar power, but its pretty overwhelming and confusing with the amount of info that is out there!

K15n1: Yep, that's what I plan on doing. I just like to be a prepared as possible when walking into something I don't know much about :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You may not be able to take water from the river. Remember we have some strong environmental laws here. Now if a SHTF scenario happened, you'd be fine. Plenty of water for you and the animals.

I've looked at properties way up on the mountains for when Hubby retires, to get away from the city. Watch out for properties that are listed as a dry cabin or such. Means no well and probably can't put one in.

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
You may not be able to take water from the river. Remember we have some strong environmental laws here. Now if a SHTF scenario happened, you'd be fine. Plenty of water for you and the animals.

I've looked at properties way up on the mountains for when Hubby retires, to get away from the city. Watch out for properties that are listed as a dry cabin or such. Means no well and probably can't put one in.
I wouldn't be looking to take from it unless the SHTF. I'd like to know that there would be plenty of water for everyone :)

I will be sure to watch for properties listed like that, thank you for the warning! :)