Random questions about a little bit of everything SS

MarylandFutureFarmGuy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Honestly, why is everyone into "when SHTF?"

In human history, Sh*t hitting the fan has happened very few times. With our modern global economy, it is easy for one country to help support another that has experienced hardship. Plus, it is difficult for one country to take over another, considering they will probably be condemned by the UN and other countries....

If some giant disease comes and kills most of everyone (and that has happened a couple times before....Black Plague....Spanish flu....) Then there really isn't much you can do other than stay away from other people, or die. But with modern medicine, the chances of something like that happening are gradually decreasing.

My mantra is, be prepared, but never be obsessed.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think the definition of TSHTF is different for everyone. Depending on where you live, the natural disasters you may face, or even economic factors.

For me personally I live in earthquake country, we survived health isseus in 2008 and a major job change in 2009. I am very content knowing that if anything happens again I have the ability to feed my family, protect my home and carry on.

If there ever happened to be a pandemic I think being able to stay home is the key. Many will not.

I think its great that young people are taking these factors into consideration when planning their futures.

g

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
SHTF doesnt have to mean "obessed" the op simply stated they wanted the option should it be needed...there was certainly no hint of obsession anywhere in the thread that i picked up on.

Op, been there...
id suggest looking for "improved" land even if the house alreadyon the land is tiny or in rough shape ect least you knwo theres a foundation to build on some kind of sewer system in place and it can "legally" be used to place a dwelling (something that would be a risk in a state with extensive protection around watersources/wetlands ect...)
it helps give you a building block. true raw land has soooo many "hidden" fees form permits to the cost of having septic or a swe put in ect ct ect...so having some kind of starting point in my opinion after doing the looking) was the better option.

otherwise i cant say much otherwise beyond 1: know your water rights and 2: ollow your dream but dont be afraid to make modifications...

personally i LOVE my goats! lol.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It may be that the phrase "when the sh*t hits the fan" can be a bit off-putting, but "preparing" for the worst case scenario in everyday life is always a good idea. :)

RedneckCowgirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yes, I'm not talking about TSHTF on a global, or even nation scale. Its more like "Oh, we lost power and won't get it back for a few days, oh well, still have food/water for everyone"

January of 2012 we didn't have power for almost 2 weeks. 75% of the town didn't. We also had about a foot and a half-2 ft of snow. Do you know how hard it is to get bottled water in a situation like that? Plus, you need water to flush toilets, etc. I am in no way obsessed, however, I'd like to cover as many possibilities as possible. I think of it as, well, like a first aid kit.

Pinkfox: Thank you. I can see that I will have to do a lot of research on permits and such in the future! lol

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
SHTF makes me think of what happened with Katrina. In our seismically active area here, it's good to think about the volcanoes, lahars, and earthquakes. Power could be knocked out for extended periods. Having a water source you can use is always good. We're working on getting the well on either generator or battery. Power stays out long enough and I have no issues hauling water from the pond to filter and boil for our drinking. During the power outage we had during winter, I was scooping ice and snow to melt on the stove so we could flush and shower. I had constant water going on the top and beside it so I could make sure the animals had water as well. We keep about 15+- gallons of water in jugs on hand. The well water is very iron rich and I can't stand the smell so we drink bought water.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
End of June we had a massive storm blow thru this area. Trees were down all over. 2 kids were killed in a local state campground when a tree fell on their tent. We lost our power-but were lucky. We were w/out power for less than a day. Others weren't so lucky. Some people were w/out power for over a week. Some had genertors and couldn't afford to run them. Others couldn't find them to buy. Some places you couldn't get gas for the generators. That's the kind of thing I prepar for.

I'm not worried about an end of the world type scenario, but we do lose our power fairly regularly. And, when you live in a house that's, w/the exception of the wood stove, all electric, being prepared is a good thing to be.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Okay, I'm like a week late for the party :p

In regards to the comments about being SHTF obsessed. I don't have an obsession, I am finding however that as we (me and my family) delve deeper into preparedness, I seem to lose the fear of impending disaster. NOTHING is wrong about a well stocked pantry, capable facilities for food production, extra medical supplies or even ammunition. It is smart, for a variety of reasons. It provides security and can help the pocket book. I like both, I like knowing we have around a year's worth of food in our pantry and that it gets replenished at different intervals in the year depending on the product.

I have an obsession with a well stocked pantry, and for good reason. It dictates the growing season, the butcher block, and the supply runs. It is a true homestead dictator. Its cost effective, convenient and provides a sense of security. Maybe it's not a stereotypical obsession now, but it was about a hundred years ago, and a hundred before that and so on. I think it also shows how in the last one hundred years, humans have forgot about being humans. Technology has forced us to no longer worry about food, or protection. We now have walk in closets but not even a bread box. Its kind of sad if you think about it. :/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

40'x40' garden. Very good!

green house for fish tanks. Do your research and try on a small scale to grow tilapia now, maybe in a barrel.This would give you some experience before you jump in on a big scale and spend $$$

Rabbits. Very good meat animal. To produce 1000 pounds of meat a year.....at a 2 pound fryer.....would require 500 young fryers. At an average of 8 per litter, that would equal 62 litters. About 5 litters a year would require about a dozen does. That's just crunching numbers for the fun of it. Twelve to twenty does is feasible. But you have to think about feed. Pelleted feed puts you at the mercy of feed stores and high prices. Research feed and think on that one. If a SHTF situation, there would be no feed.

Goats. go for it.

Chickens. go for it. maybe get some ducks too, look at Muscovies.

Cow to breed for beef. Skip the cow. Buy a calf to grow off and butcher it. A cow needs care and feed all year. You would have to make arrangements for her to meet a boyfriend for a hot torrid affair or artificial insemination (no fun for her) :lol: 10 acres might not support a cow and calf, plus goats and their kids. It is easier to purchase the calf and when you figure in the cost of keeping the cow, breeding her and vet care, it is probably cheaper to just buy the calf. Then when it is cold, you don't have to feed the cow! lol

You got good advice on land purchase, permits, housing, septic, water.

One animal you left out. A pig. Actually two of them because one gets lonely. Get 2 feeder pigs and feed them out, milk from the goats, produce from the garden and yes, feed. Butcher in the fall. Maybe sell one to help cover the cost of yours.

Look into a root cellar. Two big freezers eat a lot of electricity. Also consider a pressure cooker and home canning in jars. A well stocked pantry with rows of home grown, home canned vegetables is truly a beautiful thing. Dehydrating. Get a good dehydrator. Dried fruits and vegetables make tasty snacks and are easy to cook with.They take up less room too.

Good luck to you and kudos to you for wanting to be self sufficient.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
... Maybe it's not a stereotypical obsession now, but it was about a hundred years ago, and a hundred before that and so on. I think it also shows how in the last one hundred years, humans have forgot about being humans. Technology has forced us to no longer worry about food, or protection. We now have walk in closets but not even a bread box. Its kind of sad if you think about it. :/
It is sad that people don't think and plan for the future, but I also don't think that "obsession" is the right word?

Life in centuries past DID totally revolve around the seasons and seasonal work, but I don't think people actually had much time to think about things to the point of what we might think of as "obsession", and I'm not sure (although maybe I'm totally in denial, lol!) that thinking that way now and being totally stoked about the shelves of jars and cellars of veggies filling up is actually an "obsession".

I think those of us who revel in being prepared and in taking care of our families by growing our own, stocking up in times of plenty etc. just have a different way of looking at life. I was brought up this way and it just seems wrong not to have more than one of anything in the cupboard--to have to run out for every little thing that a person might want or need.

Stocking up in times of plenty (like right now in my growing season and right now things are also priced great at the farmer's market for the things I don't grow or can't grow enough of) really just makes the best financial sense. I'm always shocked and amazed in the deepest winter months when I see watermelons or strawberries from who knows where--because when I was a kid that just didn't happen. Because no one would have been willing to pay the higher price, for starters, plus I'm thinking that transporting exotic crops out of season just didn't make sense to the producers either. Today people want much more of an "instant" lifestyle, so I guess they are willing to pay more--PLUS, and this is the part that really hurts me to realize, the producers simply aren't making any profit anymore, it's all been squeezed out and most farmers just don't earn a living. The system will HAVE TO change at some point, because we're simply going to run out of farmers who are willing to live in poverty.

Anway, enough babbling, I just wanted to mention my thoughts about the word "obsession" because I think most of us that live this way are just being prudent and frugal, rather than obsessed :)