Rash on my ring finger

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I get water underneath my engagement ring, I end up with this nasty rash which is a whole bunch of little, kind of itchy bumps. I try to be very careful to take my ring off when I wash my hands, but when I don't, it pops up. Anyone know what it is, and what I can do to fix it? Neosporin will help dry it out a bit, but doesn't usually make it go away completely.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
May be time to go get your ring cleaned. Most jewelers will do this for free or a nominal fee.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree with Framing fowl, get your ring cleaned it could be harboring germs or even dirt irritating your finger or it may be sized too small. If you don't have a jeweler near by I would use hydrogen peroxide for just a few minutes (not for silver) or buy one of those ultrasonic jewelry cleaners, I believe their solution is ammonia based. You should not wear your ring at night (most likely place to bend prongs on stones anyway) and that airs out your skin also. Never wear during doing dishes or in the shower either. Using lotions tend to aggravate the rash under my ring finger so I avoid them around where my ring sits (it's a very wide band) If I follow those practices I RARELY get that rash anymore. If you are going to use a bacteria cream, make sure you use it and don't stick the ring over the top, just let it air dry first, most people tend to stop using them too soon and the problem is still lurking. I hope that helps.

What kind of metal is it? Most skin reactions are mixed metals, etc, I am just curious. Mine bothers me I think because it has some rose gold in it and I have very sensitive skin.

Had to edit to clarify ;)

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
what type of metal is the ring? sounds like a bit of an allergic reaction to the metal itself, the trapped water helps to speed up chemical reactions. (i'm actually a silversmith by trade, i know my metals hehe.)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The only time I ever take my rings off is when I make bread, so I've had 'em on for over 17 years now with few breaks.

I occasionally get dry redness under my rings when the temp turns to cold winter, and it's always because I didn't dry my hands properly after washing/showering/dishes etc. It only takes once and then I'm vigilant for the rest of winter. We have a very arid climate and the cold really dries skin out here.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The ring is white gold, and fairly wide. I do try to remember to take it off every night, and it seems when I forget is when it gets really bad.

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
curly_kate said:
The ring is white gold, and fairly wide. I do try to remember to take it off every night, and it seems when I forget is when it gets really bad.
White gold often has nickel alloyed with it. I cannot wear white gold because of the nickel. I get just the kind of rash you describe. If left, it ends up raw. You may need to switch out your engagement ring to yellow gold (which is less often alloyed with nickel). Hope you find something that works.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For people who have skin reactions to their earrings, coating the earring post with clear fingernail polish (and re-coating often) usually helps. I wonder if the same thing would help in this instance? Coating the inside of the ring with clear nail polish would keep the metal from touching the skin directly. (Assuming you don't have a problem with nail polish, of course.)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Is this a new problem that just started with your finger? How long have you had the ring?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
what type of metal is the ring? sounds like a bit of an allergic reaction to the metal itself, the trapped water helps to speed up chemical reactions. (i'm actually a silversmith by trade, i know my metals hehe.)
Then you should know that the Nickle in White Gold, even good white gold often causes an allergic reaction. A good jewler can often electroplate just the inside of a ring with a less reactive white metal.~gd