Raspberry recipes?

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a huge raspberry patch. I need more recipes. I've had inconsistent jam results, and could use some tips on jam making. I still have frozen raspberries left from last year. We make smoothies, pie, ice cream. What I need is an excellent jam recipe that my kids will like.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
MountainMom said:
I have a huge raspberry patch. I need more recipes. I've had inconsistent jam results, and could use some tips on jam making. I still have frozen raspberries left from last year. We make smoothies, pie, ice cream. What I need is an excellent jam recipe that my kids will like.
I just buy the powdered pectin and follow the directions it comes with. Turns out YUMMY! I do strain out about half of the seeds first. Also and great thing to make is raspberry syrup. We pour it over ice cream or yogurt. :drool

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Shee-oot! Oh, to have that problem! This spring I planted a dozen raspberry shoots, dug from a friend's flower beds where her raspberries try to migrate to...and in this year's heat wave only two survived.

I would want to freeze them plain to use in many different ways. Sorry, I know I'm not much help. I did make some wonderful jams this year, sugar-free, by mixing various berries, raspberry included, with sweet purchased juices such as grape and pomegranate and adding a bit of stevia if needed (taste the mixture before heating.) I used the packaged no-sugar-needed pectin from Ball and all my jams/jellies came out perfectly. I just followed the instructions in the package insert.

My favorite thing to do with raspberries is raspberry-pear pie. Sweet, ripe pears, sliced thin, mixed with raspberries and tossed with a little (very little, like a quarter cup) sugar mixed with a big spoonful of cornstarch. Two crust pie crust, made with lard of course, and preferably freshly ground soft white wheat, baked at 375 F for 40-50 minutes or so. Yum.

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
From those two plants, you can end up with a huge, wandering raspberry patch in a few years. They tend to be invasive. I do love my patch.

Maybe I'll try jam again.

kitchwitch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just made a Raspberry Champagne jelly that's delicious if you know someone that isn't too hip on taste of raspberries. the champagne mellows out the fruit flavor but the raspberries impart a delightful shade of pink. I imagine it would be good on pre-fall meat dishes.

Syrup is also a good idea if you're not to keen on trying jam again anytime soon. I assume you could just pack some in water for later use? Or freeze them.

MountainMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I made raspberry jam today. I followed the recipe exactly, to a T. I'm optimistic.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Are you water bathing the jam?

I have better luck just filling my recently boiled jars with boiling hot jam adding a lid and inverting the jar for a few minutes before turning it right side up again. Called open kettle method - old evil and frowned upon, but works great for jam.