Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, I am so sorry about the Marek's... what a horrible stroke of bad luck! It sounds as if this is something that only strikes chickens-- maybe later when you can try again, you could try raising ducks or guineas instead? I don't know what sort of egg production guineas have, or if their eggs even taste good, but I know that ducks can lay even more eggs than chickens do.

I came on to tell you about a couple of ideas my husband had when I told him about your SS woes-

He thought that, besides making braided rugs- using the same techniques to make baskets or market bags?

And on the composting toilet... I know the urine diverter is supposed to be nice because it helps keep the composting poop from being too wet, but it is another expense. He suggested crafting one from an old bleach bottle with the bottom cut out and the top down to divert the urine into a different bucket (I thought- what an amazingly simple and good idea!)

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your chickens!!! I know I want to get chickens but at the same time, I'm scared to.

I am trying to find things to make and sell for some extra money. Trying to sew some things like oven mitts and pin cushions. Just don't know yet. If I come up with something, I will post it.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FF - Thank you! Yes I did have a wonderful Saturday. We went down and watched the Mojave Days Parade. My daughter and her Native Cub won 2nd place in the dresses and shirts I sewed so that was fulfilling. And my sons immensely enjoyed gathering up as much candy as they could carry home.
Snapshot - If it helps convince you - If I had to do it all over again, I would still get chickens. There is a vaccination they can give the chicks. For me personally, I am still not sure if I would go that route (I have a deep suspicious nature regarding vaccinations) but if you get chickens and don't worry about vaccinations, you could get chicks that had already been innoculated.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marek's - Can I eat the culls?

I am continuing along with my sickly chickens. The situation hasn't improved but my spirits are back where they should be. I will continue to muddle along and see who survives.

I had posted on backyard chickens. My question was this: Can I eat the culls? People resoundingly responded that they wouldn't eat a sick animal. However, the question is a big one for me. In my flock, I still have several young roos that I had planned on butchering. They do not appear sick but I have absolutely no way of knowing if they are infected with Marek's. As a matter of fact, the two roos I butchered right before I realized what was happening to my flock appeared healthy but very well could have had Mareks...and I already ate those.
So if anyone has some concrete info I would love to hear it.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made some bangin' potato soup yesterday. A lot of people have been giving us food...which I totally appreciate. It gets interesting sometimes trying to make it into something I recognize but yesterday's meal was easy-peasy. Potato soup with lots of carrot, onion and celery, lots of white pepper - a can of milk stirred in which made it creamy, and a sprinkle of cheese on top made my boys dig in. Good soup (and thanks to good friends).

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My son Armando gets all dewey eyed over pies. His sister had been talking about perhaps making a pie. So she headed off to home and he sat contemplating his plate of plain old beans and rice. He began to wax poetic about pies.
"I wish I were eating pie. Like pumpkin pie. Pumpkin pie is good."
"Yes" we all said, pumpkin pie is good.
"Or strawberry pie. That is really good."
"Yes, strawberry pie is good."
"Or cherry pie. With lots of cherries. I love cherry pie."
"Yes" we said again, nodding agreement.
Then Amarante spoke up.
"Or olive pie."
We all stopped and stared at him. "Olive pie?"
"Well not for me perhaps. I don't even like olives. But for you guys. Olive pie for the rest of you."
We all busted up laughing.

*Sister did make pie for him. Pumpkin pie. He has had a slice a day.
**No olive pies were ever made since as Amarante has pointed out, he doesn't really care for olives.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Too funny! I was thinking something similar Britesea. A savory rustic crust with some olives, egg, cheese and herbs. Maybe more along the lines of a galette than pie.