Ratio of Rice to Beans

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Supposing that you were living on rice to beans how many pounds of rice would you store per pound of beans?

I think I may not have enough rice for all the beans I have, not that beans would always get used with rice, but it is the complete protein staple. I want to make sure I'm storing the right proportions.

Thanks

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I store them in about equal proportions. Maybe more beans because I have a large variety of beans. Both last for a very long time so I don't worry about being too exact. I just buy more when they are on sale and as we use them.

rivka

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
How do you store? I bought a bunch of rice and it was in plastic bucket. I went to use and it was all weevils or bugs infested.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I purchase basmati for long term storage all presealed by pros. Its suppose to be good for 10 years. I purchase brown rice for immediate use and i keep it in the freezer.

Beans will keep for ever if dry. I had some second generation beans one time. White beans. The first generation were found in Anasazi ruins during an archeological dig. They were ancient, but they grew.

I'm surprised that no one has figured out a formula for this.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
I noticed that portion sizes for the different types of beans that I store vary, so that would be a consideration.
I stored 1 serving size grain to 1 serving size beans. I have read 40% bean to 60% rice for protein.
I'd be interested in learning what others do, maybe adjusting my storage, too. I eat many whole grains which may throw my ratio off; by not using the rice only.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think more beans is fine. It depends upon your eating habits though. I don't always eat beans with rice, because you don't need to (it used to be thought that you did if you were vegetarian, in order to get all the amino acids). I use beans for chili and for hummus and other things like that, meals that do not require rice. JMO.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Can any of you specify what type of beans and rice you are storing?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I store black beans, garbanzo beans, and kidney beans mostly. I store mostly canned beans, but I also store dry black beans. I would store more varieties of dry beans, but I can't find large bags of other types, besides pinto which I don't have any recipes for.

I store white basmati rice.

OkieAnnie

City slicker gone rural
Reaction score
To kill the weavels and bugs I always freeze my rice for about a week (probably over kill on the time) then I put it in the storage containers. My MIL taught me this. I haven't had any issues.