Raw goatsmilk

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just found some of this at the store yesterday. Along with a wealth of other awesome stuff. :)
Anyways, I tried some, half afraid of the "goaty" taste I've heard of. I LIKE it. I made chocolate milk (I don't drink straight milk) and it was sweet, but not as fattyish or "milky" tasting as cow milk. Pretty damn good IMO. :)

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If goat milk is handled properly and the goat is fed properly, it should just taste like milk. I wonder what goats the milk came from since it isn't fatty (or maybe the people used a cream separator). I have Nigerian Dwarfs and an Alpine cross and my milk is on the fattier side but we love it since we make ice cream and cheese and other stuff from it. Just be careful where you get it from. Since it is raw, it is critical that it was handled properly so there is more good bacteria than bad in it.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i know! tastes like milk! isnt that hilarious? how many times did you double dog dare each other before someone cowboy-ed up and drank it?

ha!

and i love this: Pennsyltucky

aint that right! whooot!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Just found some of this at the store yesterday. Along with a wealth of other awesome stuff. :)
Anyways, I tried some, half afraid of the "goaty" taste I've heard of. I LIKE it. I made chocolate milk (I don't drink straight milk) and it was sweet, but not as fattyish or "milky" tasting as cow milk. Pretty damn good IMO. :)
So when are you getting your own goats?

:hide trust me, that's how it starts........

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't remember the name of the farm. :/ It's something local, surely. Maybe the store owners' goats, who knows. I'll have to take a gander once I post this, then edit, lol. I hope it isn't supposed to have that cream taste that straight cow milk has. I hate anything lower than 2%, because it tastes like watered down milk, but I don't really *like* the taste of it. Now, get this, when I make chocolate milk, I sometimes like to add heavy cream to it... Lol. But, the goatsmilk was "just right". Maybe I should try it straight instead of as chocolate milk so that I know for sure, lol.

As for my own goats, I WANT my own goats! It's on my list, but I need my own place first, lol. I'm slowly making steps... Just got a letter in the mail about daycare for the boys, so I'll be able to go to nursing school and then I'll get my own place. :)

Ohio, I'm not sure what I was expecting, lol. Certainly not something this good. Then again, people complain about how strong duck meat is (I like it better than chicken) and how gross dark chicken meat is (I can't even eat breast without marinating it hardcore) and how "gamey" deer meat is, which I LOVE. So, I guess all the stuff people say is weird, I need to try. :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just so long as you know it's now inevitable that you'll get them. Maybe a long range thing, but they're coming! Took me 20 years if you look back to when I first wanted to "homestead". :D

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I had my first bit of goat's milk (pasturized stuff) and that alone was so much better than icky cow milk. I would love to find some raw goat's milk around here! The store bought stuff is way expensive, so milk for me is a special treat.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
I had my first bit of goat's milk (pasturized stuff) and that alone was so much better than icky cow milk. I would love to find some raw goat's milk around here! The store bought stuff is way expensive, so milk for me is a special treat.
It's insane, isn't it? Raw goat's milk sells in our food co-op for $9.49 for a HALF gallon!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
urban dreamer said:
It's insane, isn't it? Raw goat's milk sells in our food co-op for $9.49 for a HALF gallon!
This is mass produced, ultra pasturized stuff and it sells for $5 a half gallon! Geez! My MIL only buys 2%. I can't stand cows milk.