Raw milk can you freeze it?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have found a source for raw milk [moonshine was easier!]. I only use a little at a time and I remember from posts here that heat treatment is not good if you want to make cheese. I freeze store bought milk all the time, can I do the same with raw milk until I am able to make cheese or does freezing ruin it too?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Mom always did, but if you get cream-top milk be sure to skim it first and make butter etc. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! I freeze it all the time. Thaw it in the fridge, give it a good shake and it's good as new.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Absolutely! I freeze it all the time. Thaw it in the fridge, give it a good shake and it's good as new.
Yes but does it make good cheese?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make cheese with it. I have only made chevre and I do not heat my milk first. I follow the recipe for Chevre on the Fiasco Farm site. I bring the milk to room temp, add the culture and rennet and it works beautifully for me.

Probably should have mentioned that I'm referring to goat milk. :)

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We used to freeze it, and yes, it almost always separated... but sometimes that was a good thing when you wanted the cream. BTW "frosty" cream whips great!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I am going to have to start freezing some of the raw milk I get. Since I don't have the grandkids over here regularly, we don't go through enough milk to keep it fresh. And it's so darned expensive, I hate to toss it out.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
We used to freeze it, and yes, it almost always separated... but sometimes that was a good thing when you wanted the cream. BTW "frosty" cream whips great!
Goat milk? I was looking at buying a separator but if freezing will give me enough cream for butter I'll make room in the freezer for it. It would be much cheaper.

My first goat kidded Sat and the kids aren't emptying her and she is soooo full so I've been milking her in the morning after making sure the kids don't want any right then.