Razor Clamming

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So we went for our last razor clam dig of the season today. Probably another four pounds of cleaned meat. This will hold us until November when the fall digging starts.

I'll be taking some clams down to my parents when we visit. Introduced Dad to them and he loves them. Lightly floured and fried. We hit more digs this year and are better at it so I have more to share. They make great chowder as well.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got to taste razor clams once... Delicious! Wish I lived closer to the coast so I could go clamming; don't even care what kind!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds yummy. No clams around here......except in a can maybe. :sick
Each area has it's own speciality.....trying to figure out what ours might be.... duh.....uh.....duh..... OK got it! DUMB REDNECKS!! Oh wait, guess that doesn't count, can't eat 'em......we were talking about food weren't we? :gig

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
BAY! LOL - shame that it's mostly true!

No clamming here, but we can go crabbing...grab a chicken neck, some string and a net and you're in biddness! I haven't done that in decades.... Easier to go to Kemah and buy em by the dozen, lol!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're talking about getting some crab pots and dropping them off at the dock on our way clamming, then picking them up after. We'd get shrimp but need a boat for that. Sometimes we go after the steamer clams or oysters. Razor clams are just bigger and nicer. We're looking at going geoduck digging.

Shellfish and salmon are our big thing here. There is elk and mule deer, too. Need to eat more of those. They eat my fruit trees.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Been wanting to go crabbing for awhile. It's a shame. We live so close to the Delaware Bay, and never take advantage of it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there's crawdads in the river. How do I tell, other than dumb luck dumping a trap in there? I've never done it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just google crawfish traps, some of them look like minnow traps.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have one, DH said he tried it by putting an open can of cat food in the trap and throwing it in the river, but he said nothing came of it. I was wondering if they prefer a specific environment, and what to look for?