Razors???

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Don't know where this should go, there isn't a 'health and wellness' category, and it really isn't an issue of a natural remedy at all!
Anyway, curious as to what others do for shaving. We currently use disposable razor blades, and it drives me nuts to have to buy such expensive things. He shaves his head and I also shave, and we've made it slightly more economical by buying the 'mens' replacement blades because the womens blades are even more expensive :rolleyes: Razors are something that I really don't care to support because I think they are over priced, and I am curious to know what others do.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with a good men's razor, then buy the blades. Check online for cheaper blades. If you have a good place for it, a small jar of baby oil or mineral oil, etc to store your razors in will keep the blades in good shape longer.

Or do what I do. Don't shave. :hide I kind of reached that age where I don't have nearly as much hair as I used to, so....for Valentine's day, I'll usually shave my legs as a present for DH. :lol:

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Am i the only one who uses a straight razor?

A couple of notes:

1. Safety razor is a markrting term invented to sell a new product, and does not reflect any real danger
2. A strop can be made from any bit of wood and scrap leather
3. Many razors are sold as luxury items, but you should be able to find one for less than 20$
4. You dont need a diamond stone to touch up your blade---a bit of abbrasive powder on the saude side of ypur strop is adequate
5. Its really not that hard---even i can do it

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marianne said:
I agree with a good men's razor, then buy the blades. Check online for cheaper blades. If you have a good place for it, a small jar of baby oil or mineral oil, etc to store your razors in will keep the blades in good shape longer.

Or do what I do. Don't shave. :hide I kind of reached that age where I don't have nearly as much hair as I used to, so....for Valentine's day, I'll usually shave my legs as a present for DH. :lol:
My bolding...I'm with you, Marianne, except I wait and shave my legs in April, for my birthday as a belated b-day present to Doc for his b-day (which is in January). I don't consider it as unwanted hair, I prefer to refer to it as welcomed insulation, when the temps are cold! :gig

k15n1,

Have thought about going the straight razor route as opposed to disposables, I just don't have a good record with sharp objects! It's a running joke with my family that "knives don't play well with Dawn". I wish I had family fame for something else!

Edited to add:

The sharp object joke isn't about anything hazardous/detrimental to my health, just that I was the one who kept sharp knives out of the dish water on purpose and still managed to cut myself. I have an uncanny knack for cutting myself with paper and tape dispensers...I also have an unhealthy record of falling "up" stairs and spraining ankles on level ground. :th

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use mens razors.....gillette. I put it back into the holder after I am done...letting it dry while suspended in the air. I can get alot of uses from it that way. I know the replacement blades are alot harder to buy these days. Walmart has them all locked up, and nobody ever around to help. I sarted looking online ...amazon to start. Yes, shaving is expensive, but, I try to use them sparingly.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Marianne said:

:lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hubby shaves his head
he likes Mach 3 or that new Fusion that just came out.
expensive but worth it to him to have a better razor than a disposable.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
hubby shaves his head
he likes Mach 3 or that new Fusion that just came out.
expensive but worth it to him to have a better razor than a disposable.
I think the Mach3's are what we use, both of us. How many shaves does he get out of a blade when he does his whole head? My other half complains that he can't get more than one shave out of a blade doing his entire head and face.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Am i the only one who uses a straight razor?
Well I did until recently, with old age I find that my hands sometimes shake and the harder I try to control it the more they shake. Really POs me because I have been doing fine work with my hands for hobbies all my life. Anyway I must disagree with your item #1 you can get a nasty slash with a straight razor, but unless you do something really stupid with a double edged safety razor all you will get is nicked which is easily fixed with TP or a stepic stick/powder. I was shocked by the prices they are now asking for razors, strops and even shaving mugs and brushes. It seems that they have gone the way of the fountain pen and are more for show than they are for go. I beleive the cheapest safety razor was just over $15 and important parts were made of plastic! I passed on that and bought a all metal model for $29.99. I went with double edge because I couldn't even find the older single edge product and I had my grandfather's mechanical stropping machine [hand cranked] Have you ever seen one of these? they strop both edges at the same time and then flip the blade over to do the other side. I agree, diamond is way to course for a strop. and stainless steel is soft. I get my strop powder [cesium oxide] from a gem polishing supply house, it gets finer and finer as it is used. ~gd

A couple of notes:

1. Safety razor is a markrting term invented to sell a new product, and does not reflect any real danger
2. A strop can be made from any bit of wood and scrap leather
3. Many razors are sold as luxury items, but you should be able to find one for less than 20$
4. You dont need a diamond stone to touch up your blade---a bit of abbrasive powder on the saude side of ypur strop is adequate
5. Its really not that hard---even i can do it
!