Re-purposed ......

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hubby tears up his work clothes. He burns through jeans. I will patch them once, using an old pair as an under-patch. Then, I have begun cutting them into long strips, to braid them into rugs (I saw it on another thread, and it's so cool!).

We recently replaced the tile on our hearth. One piece was missing, and several were cracked. I will save the old tile to use in mosaics. I have made some neat table tops for outside using broken tile/stained glass scraps.

I save all our old coffee cans. The list of things they can be used for is almost endless.

I recently used a fruit lug as a bookcase. Works perfectly and ties into my 'old country' decorating style.

When my DS#1 passed, I took his favorite shirts, cut them into strips, and made several 'memory pillows' for family. I bought some transfer fabric on clearance, and printed a picture of him, then framed it inside the strips. Backing was made with larger squares. Also made a few pillows with his favorite t-shirts. I realize people have done a variation of this (crazy quilts) for decades, but I liked the addition of the photo. Also, I didn't want to pay the price they wanted for pillow forms, so I bought std size pillows ($3 each, I think) pushed the stuffing to either side, stitched two lines down the middle, then cut between them. Since it's hidden, the ragged edge didn't matter.

I had an old blanket chest that sat in a corner of my bedroom. I wanted a 'dressing seat' at the end of my bed, so I painted it to match the decor, covered a loveseat pad for outdoor furniture to match, then put it at the end of my bed. Now, I need a coffee table more than I need a place to put on socks, so I will repaint it a more neutral color and set it out in the living room. I plan to recover the seating pad and leave it on - it is flat (level) so items can be placed on it if needed, and it will provide extra seating when needed.

That's all I can think of right now :p

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OK, I tried to upload a picture of it and, for some reason, since I moved I can't upload pictures onto here :barnie

So, it's a very old wooden box, basically. Most of them up here are square, but this one is rectangular. It's about 24" deep, about 2 1/2' tall X 3' or so long. Dovetailed corners, cup type handles (we had to replace those, as they were rusted through). I flipped it up onto the wall, and hubby screwed it in place. Extra cookbooks and 'stuff' sit on top. So frustrated that I couldn't upload the picture - I'm not that good at describing things :/ Sorry

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
DH found an old bookshelf someone had thrown out. It was a little wobbly, but turned out all we had to do was tight it up and it is fine. We painted it white and now it's in our living room. I found an old door someone had thrown out and picked it up because the door to our shed had broken. It doesn't fit the shed, but it's gonna make a pretty good potting table for the back yard. I have two old saw horses to stick under it and I'm gonna paint it so it doesn't rot. I am teaching myself how to sew. I'm not very good at all :lol: but I can take old rags or old cloths and make dog toys with 'em since they don't really need to look like anything recognizable :lol: .

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
OK, I tried to upload a picture of it and, for some reason, since I moved I can't upload pictures onto here :barnie

So, it's a very old wooden box, basically. Most of them up here are square, but this one is rectangular. It's about 24" deep, about 2 1/2' tall X 3' or so long. Dovetailed corners, cup type handles (we had to replace those, as they were rusted through). I flipped it up onto the wall, and hubby screwed it in place. Extra cookbooks and 'stuff' sit on top. So frustrated that I couldn't upload the picture - I'm not that good at describing things :/ Sorry
Something like this? But with handles on the ends and a little taller? I know the corners are not dovetailed but it's all I could find!

5455416899_9870d6ffdf.jpg

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
SSD, think I know what you're talking about. I think I've seen them, just not recently.