Re-Thinking My Nest Boxes

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I am in the process of renovating and repairing my main chicken coop. It is about 10 years old, and it needs some repairs made. My back wall is rotting out due the consistently wet weather we get. I failed to paint early on and I am paying the price for it now. However, it is minor and can be easily fixed.Then I will paint the coop.

My main renovation question is about my nest boxes. They are attached to this back wall and will be removed in the process. I have never liked how they worked. The boxes are in a row, and open from all sides except the side attached to the wall.

What do your nest boxes look like? What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am in the process of renovating and repairing my main chicken coop. It is about 10 years old, and it needs some repairs made. My back wall is rotting out due the consistently wet weather we get. I failed to paint early on and I am paying the price for it now. However, it is minor and can be easily fixed.Then I will paint the coop.

My main renovation question is about my nest boxes. They are attached to this back wall and will be removed in the process. I have never liked how they worked. The boxes are in a row, and open from all sides except the side attached to the wall.

What do your nest boxes look like? What do you like about them? What do you dislike about them?

I love the outside access to my nest boxes...it's priceless for a few reasons. Egg removal and also broody removal. If they are facing the door, I can remove them from the front, if they are facing the front, I can remove them from the door...without getting my hand pecked off.

I have a slanted top on one nest box but wanted to use the top of the other two for a work surface but wish somehow I could have fashioned it with a top I could then lift to a slant so the chickens could not get up there. Every year the juveniles want to roost up there and I have to do elaborate things to keep them off. Having a hoop coop, building anything to lift like that has to accommodate the curvature of the walls and it gets difficult. You won't have that problem, so you are free to modify as you see fit, BB, but a slanted top to the boxes is vital, IMO.

Last few years I had to really open up the sides of my nest boxes due to the excessive heat we are having now. I need to make some modifications there too.

So, what I don't like is not having all slanted tops, though I love my work surface. And that the nest boxes do not have more airflow for summer months. Everything else I love...I love the depth and total size of them, I love how they function otherwise and I love that they are all made from reclaimed wood/scrap wood.

I love that I can sit a basket down on the outside access door if need be, as the flaps are supported from just dropping open.

My advice...make them deep in all ways so you can place plenty of bedding and it doesn't get kicked out easily and the chickens aren't crowded as they climb in and out, so you can lessen damage to eggs. Chickens also like it a little private, so a dark nest box is something they seem to prefer...I think that privacy helps keep eggs laid in the coop instead of outdoors.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thank you, Bee. I hadn't thought about slanted tops! My goal is to get it done this fall, and ready in time for a new flock in the spring.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Here's mine. It's perfect as far as I'm concerned.
FB_IMG_1527802350045.jpg

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't remember. I just googled nest box plans. I think the boxes are 11 or 12 inches each

Myrth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

My DH made my nestboxes out of an old bookcase. It was a small bookcase, two shelves. He put dividers on each shelf with plywood. This created a set of 4 nest boxes. He then added a lip on the fronts of the boxes.

These nests are thus enclosed on all sides but the fronts. Hens have happily laid lots of eggs and also hatched and raised chicks in them. I like them. And it was a frugal use of an old bookcase.